NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Help with my first Digital system...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before I got digital cable, I used GBPVR with a PVR-500 MCE (my old system is detailed in the sig below).

Now, I use a DVR set-top-box from Comcast to convert for my old analog TV and record my shows up to 2 at a time.

In comparison I really like GBPVR and the PVR-500 MCE dual channel capability. It far exceeds Comcast’s DVR in its ability to record what I want and when I want it. Comcast’s DVR is not very versatile and I frequently miss shows due to conflicts that would not occur in GBPVR.

So, now I'm interested in getting rid of the Comcast DVR, upgrading my GBPVR system with a digital card and getting a digital TV. I have many questions, but I'll start one at a time.

Ok maybe two questions at a time. I'm looking at going with the HVR-2250 as my new card (or even 2 of them).

1. What are the computer hardware requirements for a digital system? I read in some threads that a dual-core processor is a must. Or, is the computer I have listed below good enough?

2. Will I need to get a cable box for each channel I want to record on the HVR-2250? If I need cable boxes do I also need channel changers for the boxes? Or, does the HVR-2250 decode the signal and change the channels for me just like my old PVR-500 MCE?

Note: If there is a thread that already steps through setting up a digital system, feel free to refer me to it. I was unable to find one.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Chris
If you want to record digital off the cable you'll only be able to record clear (unencrypted) QAM using a digital card like the 2250. Not all cable systems even do clear QAM and those that do often have only the local channels. Your other alternative is to get an HD-PVR box but then you'll still need an STB.

As for the computer, recording is not a big resource hog but playback is. You might be better off with a Popcorn Hour for playback.

Recording & playback of digital is a whole different ballgame...