NextPVR Forums

Full Version: NMT Integration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Syabas have been able to provide more information on the NMT hardware which now offers several opportunities to change the NMT client and I have uploaded a YouTube demo on the PCH here http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5pwQtm-hNC4

What you see is the client running without mono playing an mpeg-ts file from a QAM digital source in live TV. With this new approach it could be possible to

- start audio and video in well under two seconds,
- have more responsive livetv channel changes,
- OSD over video

Clearly the demo is not optimised, and some of the offset are not quite correct, I even had to run as an MVP, but I expect that the OSD navigation will be close to the same speed you get with GBPVR menus and faster than the MVP.

If I go this route, I will need a much deeper commitment from sub to get mpeg-ts support, since GPBVR doesn't provide this to the MVP/NMT client today Effectively you will lose all the capabilities in mono including file navigation (ff/rw, time seek, 30 second seek etc) and resume (next firmware), info button and anything that is added to mono in the future. I am estimating that the GBPVR navigation tricks will require about 1.5 seconds of blank screen, for skips including com skip too if that helps, a little faster than the livetv pauses in the demo.

Additionally I only intend to support this on mpeg-ts and mpeg-ps files. The other container formats (mkv, avi, dvd, wmv) are handled well by mono and I don't want to provide anything less.

This all leads up to the question is this something you want me to continue to devote time to? Ultimately sub controls the destiny, but if you don't need it I don't want to waste a few weeks building and investigation this.

Martin
Very Nice, Martin. I always liked the way the MediaMVP was able to skip, so that would be great, but I hope it doesn't take 1.5 seconds to skip forward 1 minute. It should be at least as fast as the MediaMVP.
If you plan to leave other file types as they are, maybe sub can make it optional for ts, so everyone can decide for themselves?

Chris
I'm not sure I understand what is currently happening with the mpeg ts, since that's what I guessed was going to my popcorn hour when taken off my local satellite....

Your changes sound good though, but ultimately it's subs decision.
I thought (possibly wrongly) that things were being edged into .ts anyway with dvb-c/s/t becoming more common and things like multichannel recording becoming available (with the ts mux). I (and possibly like many others) don't know enough about the intricacies and handling of these file formats to be able to form proper opinions of which way "is best".

Anyway, the fact that Syabas is making more options available can only be a good thing in the end - along with the fact that there are people here who can make use of the information.
I don't see any point in doing this just for mpeg-ps. The reason sub needs to get involved, is GBPVR has to control the playback timeline for emulation mode to work, and this is not working today from mpeg-ts.

It is also arguable who makes the "ultimate" decision on where mvpmcx2 goes.

Martin
I've held back from PCH because of the lack of comskip. Faster response skipping was not a compromise for me.

Did I read right? Comskip, ( with a tonne of work) can be implimented?

And so when there's a commerical, there would actually be a 1.5 black spot while GB-PVR is shuttling forward? Is ther potential for that time to lessen?

I actually use comskip so that there is never auto-skip, but rather when I see a commercial, I hit play to skip the coms. Is that something that could still be done?

That would have my vote for sure...
Without really knowing what mono is, as I haven't needed to know... Will MVPmcx2 switch 'systems' to play mpgs and non mpgs?

That really sounds like the cat's ass
mvallevand Wrote:I don't see any point in doing this just for mpeg-ps.
Martin
why is that?
i love the responsiveness...i would vote for continuing exploration if you think ff/rw will be possible eventually...the pause is not bad..plus osd is really helpful..

i didn't notice any pause of the video in the utube flick.? was hoping you'd do a skip..Smile
For comskip on mpeg-ts I have a strong prjeference for mkv files with chapters if it could be implemented because it is so portable, safe and fast but I haven't seen this happen.

@zehd, mvpmcx2 controls what media player is used, there are two right now, mono for the majority of formats and amp_test for DVD and CD's

@pBS I don't see a need for an mpeg-ps player the mvp already does this, and I need to to do much more to keep this "fun"

Martin
Here is a demo of livetv showing the new possible responsiveness and it is still not optimized. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_HYnIwIhfKg

To answer some questions comskip and seeks should be faster than this because this has some pre-buffering that won't be necessary

Martin
Pages: 1 2 3