NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Transcoded x264 choppy on MVP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I understand that playing MKV files back on the MVP is not an ideal situation and i didnt expect it to be perfect, but after much trial and error im tearing my hair out here!

I have tried a number of different ffmpeg versions and altered the transcode setting with no difference whatsoever. Whenever i transcode x264 MKV files to mpeg i end up with a choppy video. The server transcodes at nearly 2x speed so im sure it not that, and the attatched (or hosted) video file shows the problem

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this stuttering?

http://rapidshare.com/files/172552718/MV...2.mpg.html

p.s PVRX2 is the latest btw, contrary to sig below!

Regards

Stu
well, first off it looks like it's encoded as 4:3 even tho it's supposed to be 16:9
it does smooth out over a few frames so i don't think the framerate is wrong...
looks like a problem possibly with b-frames and the original encode was done badly..
[may not have stuck to the standards]
all i can suggest is to try the [-re]? [read input at native framerate] [must be before the -i]
or forcing the proper framerates...

what's the log of ffmpeg look like? that would help alot with details or error messsages..
Should have looked at writing a log file - will do that and post.
As for the encode quality - i get the same results regardless of the source. Avi transcode seamless, and they are all US encoded shows. Im also pretty sure its not a framerate issue.
I have no idea what a b-frame is so that should give you an idea of my encoding knowledge though!
I will try '-vstats_file "C:\Trans2MVP.log"' and -re (removing -r 25) and post the resultant file.
Thanks for your input
Didnt write a log file... er how do i do that?!?
stu8080 Wrote:Should have looked at writing a log file - will do that and post.
As for the encode quality - i get the same results regardless of the source. Avi transcode seamless, and they are all US encoded shows. Im also pretty sure its not a framerate issue.
I have no idea what a b-frame is so that should give you an idea of my encoding knowledge though!
I will try '-vstats_file "C:\Trans2MVP.log"' and -re (removing -r 25) and post the resultant file.
Thanks for your input

I'd be interested in making ZProcess compatible. I've heard so much about mkv but ignored it, cause this old dog hates new things...

Can you make available the file you are trying to transcode?
i could upload a portion of my file, but i know sites that make this much easier! :-)

A search of 'the pirate bay' for shows like 'heroes' 'prison break' or 'house' should give you what you need. video is compressed HiDef 720p x264 with 5.1 AAC sound at around 1GB per hour.

Let me know if you want me to chop a section and upload it though, i'll be happy to. I tried zprocess and it crashed straight away with anything mkv.
stu8080 Wrote:i could upload a portion of my file, but i know sites that make this much easier! :-)

A search of 'the pirate bay' for shows like 'heroes' 'prison break' or 'house' should give you what you need. video is compressed HiDef 720p x264 with 5.1 AAC sound at around 1GB per hour.

Let me know if you want me to chop a section and upload it though, i'll be happy to. I tried zprocess and it crashed straight away with anything mkv.

Yeah I heard that these were better files to watch, but again 'old dog syndome'

So the mkv is a container, the video inside h/x264 and the audio inside is aac. Is that right?

And tell be about aac and ac3, what seems to be prevalent?

Are there even larger (maybe more CPU taxing) files there too?
From my limited knowlege MKV is a container for many things, mostly x264 and often aac and ac3 (although i dont have surround sound setup here so havent taken muh notice)

1 GB seems to be norm for an hour.

I cant say i know too much about the variance in codecs contained in mkv files as i use coreAVC and it seems to handle any variations ive found.
stu8080 Wrote:From my limited knowlege MKV is a container for many things, mostly x264 and often aac and ac3 (although i dont have surround sound setup here so havent taken muh notice)

1 GB seems to be norm for an hour.

I cant say i know too much about the variance in codecs contained in mkv files as i use coreAVC and it seems to handle any variations ive found.

It sounds like I know why MKV and MVP aren't a good match, and better with a PCH...

I guess no point in having a super high def file if it will only play on the MVP...

I'm thinking that a 350 MB divx/xvid will look just as good, when transcoded to the MVP

I'm interested though in checking the difference when I play the two files natively on the wide screen. I don't know. The 350m xvids look pretty damn good...
i have no qualms with xvid video, but on a high def tv then you cant go back from 720p!

Theres no point in having a high def file if i only intend to use it on the MVP, but i dont, i watch most on the high def display. Occasionally I watch a few things in bed (a luxury!) and id love to be able to transcode mkv as easily as avi.

Believe me i would love a PCH-110, but the budget wont allow it, and i do think the MVP is a fantastic bit of kit. Knowing that ive invested a few quid in the server and that it will keep up any slack in transcoding id love to be able to use that power occasionally to avoid having to download or encode my files for occasional mvp use.

P.S - still stuck on creating a log file from the ffmpeg trans2mvp process... :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6