NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Fault codes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone thought of collecting a list of common fault codes from the logs to put on the wiki to help people self diagnose GBPVR problems?
What do you mean by fault codes? The logs tend to be rather verbose and more descriptive / story like.
Well, just some kind of way to help people interpret their own log files. Take my recent post http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=40134
I found
Code:
DVB EPG error reading xml: System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
in recordingservice log and thats as far as I got. Sub however knew to look in recordingservice-native log for:
Code:
VERBOSE FindFilterByName failed to locate filter: GB-PVR PSI Parser
(and note this is a VERBOSE, not ERROR, so easily overlooked unless you know what you're looking for)

and of course the solution is to reregister filters.

Also in client setups there's a lot of 'can't connect to recording service' or similar posted in peoples logs- which generally means a firewall or typo in the server name.

I just get the impression that there ought to be a handfull(?) of common things the logs tell can us, with reasonable simple answers, or clues to the fault, that the more advanced user could use to fault find themselves.

Maybe start with a list of what each log covers in terms of action - it wasn't immediately obvious to me that the recordingservice would cover the EPG for example - and I still have no idea of the difference between a normal log and a -native log.
i normally just paste the fault into the search untill it pops up with the answer i want
I agree, and I do this too (System.Xml.XmlException doesn't bring up anything!) but even this sort advice is missing from the wiki - so more generally then;
Is there a place for a fault finding section on the wiki? And if so what can it usefully contain?