NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Lifeview TVWalker Twin (Streaming HD)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This unit arrived. I can only make one of the tuners in each unit respond to a channel map. The other tuner produces a .NET error.

What is worse, that tuner does not appear to be High Definition. Although the eBay item description stated "HDTV [1080i, 720p, 576p], SDTV [576i], and AC3 Audio Supported," all of the HD stations in the lineup come in as "Audio Only". This is consistent with the behaviour of both Standard Definition set top boxes that I own.

In addition, none of the documentation mentions High Definition. Although the name of the product in the item description is "LifeView TV Walker HDTV Twin," the product name on all documentation and the unit itself is simply "LifeView TV Walker Twin." A search of the PDF manual returns no matches for "HD", "Definition", "1080" or "720".

It seems fairly clear to me that I have been sold another incorrectly advertised product. However, if anyone knows of a likely error I might have made, I would welcome your feedback.
Do a scan, then post the config.exe.log and config.exe-native.log and I'll take a look.
keith_leitch Wrote:This unit arrived. I can only make one of the tuners in each unit respond to a channel map. The other tuner produces a .NET error.

What is worse, that tuner does not appear to be High Definition. Although the eBay item description stated "HDTV [1080i, 720p, 576p], SDTV [576i], and AC3 Audio Supported," all of the HD stations in the lineup come in as "Audio Only". This is consistent with the behaviour of both Standard Definition set top boxes that I own.

In addition, none of the documentation mentions High Definition. Although the name of the product in the item description is "LifeView TV Walker HDTV Twin," the product name on all documentation and the unit itself is simply "LifeView TV Walker Twin." A search of the PDF manual returns no matches for "HD", "Definition", "1080" or "720".

It seems fairly clear to me that I have been sold another incorrectly advertised product. However, if anyone knows of a likely error I might have made, I would welcome your feedback.

sub Wrote:Create a new thread, with these comments, and post your config.exe.log and config.exe-native.log after a scan and I'll take a look.

Digital capture devices all handle HD. Its all just a stream of data. Its up to the application to support SD and HD.

Hmm...very interesting. This makes sense, but could put the retail world on its ear.

I assume that you need those logs attached IMMEDIATELY after a channel scan on the Lifeview. I have done one now, mapped the stations, and will post the logs before any other activity.

This partly explains another symptom: Once (and only once), one station (and only one HD station--SC10 HD) tuned as something more than "AC3". Every time I tried to play it, though, PVRx2 crashed. This time, the signal is stronger, and another station (NBN HD) scanned without the AC3 tag. I notice that this time SC10 is scanning as AC3 again, and another HD station (ABC HDTV) isn't scanning at all. Trying to view NBN HD crashes PVRx2.

At least this is a BDA device, unlike previous TVWalkers.
sub Wrote:Do a scan, then post the config.exe.log and config.exe-native.log and I'll take a look.

Thanks...see scans in previous post. I'm wondering if you need the PVRx2 log, too, since it is crashing?
I'd incorrectly read your post as meaning it wasnt finding the HD channels (thinking they were DVD radio aka audio only), but seeing your channels look fine in the scan log, I'm now interpretting it as - 'you had no problem scanning for you channels, but when you try to watch a highdef one, its black with audio'. If thats the case, then its most likely just matter of the decoder you're using not supporting HD... so try a different video decoder.

For ABC HDTV being missing, maybe try scanning again. I can see its seeing the channel in your logs, but it didnt seem to pickup the required audio/video stream info.
sub Wrote:I'd incorrectly read your post as meaning it wasnt finding the HD channels (thinking they were DVD radio aka audio only), but seeing your channels look fine in the scan log, I'm now interpretting it as - 'you had no problem scanning for you channels, but when you try to watch a highdef one, its black with audio'. If thats the case, then its most likely just matter of the decoder you're using not supporting HD... so try a different video decoder.

For ABC HDTV being missing, maybe try scanning again. I can see its seeing the channel in your logs, but it didnt seem to pickup the required audio/video stream info.

Yes, you've interpreted the problem correctly, except:

- During the scan, the HD channels are *most* often identified as AC3 only. Isn't that consistent with only audio playing? It seems to me that the scan is only "finding sound". I interpret it as a problem with scanning.
- Occasionally, a channel is identified correctly. When I play it, I see video for a few seconds and then PVRx2 crashes. I suppose that could be related.

By "video decoder", do you mean the renderer (e.g. VMR9 custom?)
"AC3" is just saying that the channel contains an "AC3" audio track. It also contains video. MPEG2 video in the case of Australia. Australia is pretty much the only DVB country that broadcasts AC3 audio. Some other countries have it one or two channels. Its pointed out so that users know they'll need an AC3 audio decoder if they want to get any audio.

Quote:- Occasionally, a channel is identified correctly. When I play it, I see video for a few seconds and then PVRx2 crashes. I suppose that could be related.
Have you tried other video decoders?

Quote:By "video decoder", do you mean the renderer (e.g. VMR9 custom?)
I mean "video decoder" setting on the playback tab.
sub Wrote:"AC3" is just saying that the channel contains an "AC3" audio track. It also contains video. MPEG2 video in the case of Australia. Australia is pretty much the only DVB country that broadcasts AC3 audio. Some other countries have it one or two channels. Its pointed out so that users know they'll need an AC3 audio decoder if they want to get any audio.

Have you tried other video decoders?

I mean "video decoder" setting on the playback tab.

Oh, yes. I see.

You are right. I have successfully viewed and recorded one of the HD streams by cycling through the video decoders until I found a few that work. I have also realised that the crashing stations have nothing to do with HD. There is one set of channel streams (Nine Network) that does not cause PVRx2 to crash. All the other channel streams do, whether SD or HD. This behaviour is consistent no matter what decoder I choose, whether or not that decoder successfully plays the HD stations for me. I have just downloaded the K-Lite codec pack, which added a couple of decoders, but there is no change.

OK, here's an edit: Things have gotten much weirder. I've just given up (for now), and tried to reconnect the single (Blaze) tuner that I was using successfully all this time. It is now producing exactly the same symptoms as the Lifeview was. I have deleted the Lifeview from config, the Lifeview software, and the Lifeview devices from the Windows Device Manager. No change.

So, something that is not related to the hardware or the decoders is causing this problem. Does anyone have any ideas?
What does the crash message say exactly?
sub Wrote:What does the crash message say exactly?

I have done a system restore, which got rid of it. I'll be making another attempt to install the Lifeview, which may bring it back, and I will report it to you then.

In the meantime, it was a pretty nondescript Windows error: "PVRx2 has encountered an error and needs to close." That sort of thing. It always happened almost immediately upon the station video starting, and two or three seconds of the video would play in the background behind it before freezing.
Pages: 1 2