NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Which way to go with MVP and OTA DTV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,

I currently pay for limited cable but am making the switch to OTA DTV (digital TV). I have my converter box and a cheap antenna--and the stations come in very clear. I would like to continue using the MVP (not for live TV though), but need to know which Setup is cheapest and simplest for recording shows. I currently have the Hauppauge USB2 PVR which is recording from cable. By dropping cable, I can save the $16 bucks a month since all I get are local channels anyway--all which are free OTA. In order to record shows using the OTA stations, which option below is the best (simplest) and cheapest route:

1) Buy a new OTA TV tuner and use one of the plugins/apps to convert the HD recordings down to SD so the MVP can play them.
or
2) Buy another converter box (i have another $40 coupon) and an IR-blaster and use them in tandem with my USB2 PVR.
Or
If you have a better idea, I am open to it too.

I am leaning towards the second option, since many threads out there seem to mention the difficulty of downgrading recordings for the MVP and I can't live without ComSkip. I have a SD TV, with no plans to upgrade to HD any time soon.
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I've had good results with the Channel master CM-7000 converter. It's coupon eligible,but is one of the few with S-video output. S-video outputs SD,so no extra CPU effort is required. MVP play back is crystal clear.

I have also had a samsung tuner for a few years. It has S-video out, again SD.

The tricky part is getting the secondary streams. Both tuners require your blaster to transmit an up arrow or two to get to the secondaries.
If you only want SD recordings and optimum MVP playback, option 2 is the best.
Thanks for the input--and for mentioning the converters with an s-video output. Cheers.