NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New ZTools and UltraXMLTV software will require Registration?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How about I drop a bomb...

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Utili...MLTV2#toc2

I think I explained why I want to do this on the new wiki page. And expecting a lot of heat, I thought I'd open a thread that would take it...

There was a point that I was thinking about a call home function. Certainly I'm aware how terrible that is, especially in this type of community. Any time there's a false ping on someone's firewall, sub gets asked if there's a call home in GB-PVR itself...

So as said, all I want is to get a sense of how many people are using the software, not just how many downloads...

I'd like to automate the registration, so I won't need to manually reply to registration requests. And If I am given a private Outside email address, I'd like to know who I'm talking to (Many GB-PVR handles aren't people's real names...)

Another idea to allow people to be anonymous is to simply send your unique IP address.

I do realize that new users don't know me from Adam, and may not be able to trust me. And that any type of information can be used for nefarious purposes.

So if anyone has any other ideas for me to collect a user count, I'm interested...

Thanks
I am speachless, not sure what the community response will be. I acknowledge all your hard work, and I envy your ability to do such, I never used your plugin, which I have considered, looks real cool, can understand your inquiry of interest. I got to kick the tin for LOT of your knowlege as well as the old timers... gratis Sub (of course), whurston, mcbain... many others... this is the bestest! would like to have a draft with you guys.
Snooze Wrote:I am speachless, not sure what the community response will be. I acknowledge all your hard work, and I envy your ability to do such, I never used your plugin, which I have considered, looks real cool, can understand your inquiry of interest. I got to kick the tin for LOT of your knowlege as well as the old timers... gratis Sub (of course), whurston, mcbain... many others... this is the bestest! would like to have a draft with you guys.

Thanks for you thought. I would have actually expected a louder response. Instead I received a few pre-registration emails. I suppose that says something.

I'm currently finalizing docs and then releasing the software with an online registration process. Almost all of the information to be transmitted is completely optional, except for a randomly generated number, to tell me of a unique user...

We'll just have to see how this goes...
zehd Wrote:Thanks for you thought. I would have actually expected a louder response. Instead I received a few pre-registration emails. I suppose that says something
Don't judge how many satisfied users there are for Ultra just by the number of people who requested to register for Ultra V2. When users are satisfied and have no problems they won't be reading the forums each day.

For example, I never check the Schedules Direct forums and the only reason I keep track of the GBPVR forums is that I want to keep updated on any new releases of the program or plug-ins.
LewE Wrote:Don't judge how many satisfied users there are for Ultra just by the number of people who requested to register for Ultra V2. When users are satisfied and have no problems they won't be reading the forums each day.

For example, I never check the Schedules Direct forums and the only reason I keep track of the GBPVR forums is that I want to keep updated on any new releases of the program or plug-ins.

Yes... That's the reason why I'd like registration.

Sure someone could try and register and then stop using it, but that's OK.

And it's quite painless
I don't think you'll get any heat since it's free and people are free not to use it. You certainly will reduce the number actual number of users by using forced registration as an attempt to count them. An occasional thank you is reward enough for me.
fla Wrote:I don't think you'll get any heat since it's free and people are free not to use it. You certainly will reduce the number actual number of users by using forced registration as an attempt to count them. An occasional thank you is reward enough for me.

That may be the case. On the other side, it may be the only price someone will have to pay to get an improved version of software. Though Greenbacks are still nice :-)