NextPVR Forums

Full Version: GameState saving with remote buttons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just had what I think is a brilliant thought.

HIP can be set to use different key combos for buttons depending on the program.

I can set HIP to use the Pause and Record buttons to pause the game, storing the state, and to take screen shots or some other features.

I'll have to play with each program to see what's available... but has anybody else done this?

I'm really psyched about getting most of the emulators working with full screen on my box. I haven't set up the joystick settings for all of them, but I'm getting there. I just never got around to doing it all.
Yep, works... for most of the emulators. (Haven't worked with Play station yet...)

I have the record button mapped to the save command for each emulator.
I have the last button on my remote (it's a universal and the last is actually a Hauppauge Teletext button signal I learned to the universal.) mapped to their save functions.
Its something I suspect many GameZone users do, but although its touched on in a few threads it has not really been explicitly stated anywhere, so its good you are stating what you are doing for others to think about it.

I find that I add more applications nowadays than emulators, my latest one was google earth in full screen all controlled from the remote and launched by gamezone on a 42" widescreen its really cool. Big Grin

I have also started to use autoit to add wrappers around applications that do not support keyboard strockes therefore not controllable with a remote.

Cheers
Sweet, this is a powerful tool for GBPVR. Could you post instructions for the Google Earth? I only have a 27", but would still be cool to show people.

I have all the emulators working this way. I can pop into a game, pick up where I left off, and when the wife says, 'Come to dinner', save my spot, and drop off again. Really makes casual gaming possible now!

So, friends, here's the basics:

In each emulator find out the 'Save to default slot' and 'Load from default slot' commands. (F2, F4, Alt S... etc.)

In HIP, set up each app to recognize the remote's Record = Save and Last (or play if you want) = Load.

For zSnes and PSX, you may have to use something like SimKey, so when HIP get's the remote command, instead of issuing a keyboard command to the program, it calls another EXE which sends the command in a way the emulator will accept.

If there is a request, I can put more info into this.

I'm also working on getting a Harmony remote to have a 'Play Game' option that will jump right into GameZone. So, in 2-3 remote clicks, I can be playing an old school game from wherever I saved... no fuss, no hassle, high WAF.