NextPVR Forums

Full Version: AMD/ATI 780G chip - tearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have upgraded my Windows XP Pro HTPC with a Gigabyte motherboard that has AMD780G chipset. I also bought a Philips 47" 9603H LCD TV with HDMI connection. I also have a 29" VGA monitor next to the LCD TV.
I want to both surf and watch "WebTV" and watch TV recordings on the 47" screen without tearing.

If I clone the desktop screen and use VMR9 custom renderer I get terrrible tearing on the 47" screen.

If I expand the desktop and start GBPVR in VMR9 Custom on second monitor (47" screen) I get tearing in video.

If I expand the desktop and start GBPVR in VMR9 Fullscreen Exclusive on second monitor (47" screen) I get NO tearing in video, but then I cant watch WebTV.

Has anyone used an external graphics card (ATI 3450 or 4450) on a 780G motherboard and used VMR9 Custom or EVR with a dual monitor/graphic card setup with cloned desktop and gotten rid of the tearing?
try cat 8.11 or 8.12 driver to see if that fixes it...
i know 8.12 and 9.1 broke the vert sync adjustability for my hd3xxx cards...
also make sure that in cat, the 'wait for vertcal refresh' is set to on...
[this is the setting they broke for years in drivers]

you can tell easily if it's working, 'off' = tearing bad on 720p content, 'on' it works fine...Smile
Not directly related (or maybe it is), but I was getting tearing in games until I set CCC to force video to display at my monitors refresh rate... or something to that effect. Got rid of the tearing straight away.

I'm only using one monitor though. i would love to get a touch screen display as a second monitor to use as a sorta control panel though...
Yes, set up Wait for vertical sync to Always ON to remove tearing.
Thanks for the tips guys.

I changed driver to 8.11 and set Wait for vertical sync to Always ON
I still have tearing in VMR9 Custom on second monitor 47" Philips.

I also downloaded .Net Framework 3.5 and the .Net 3.5 SP1 update.
I also get tearing in EVR

The only setting that gives NO tearing is FSE.
I have the same chipset, and similar issues. I ended up solving the problem by moving to Vista. Probably the only person who had to move to Vista to solve XP driver issues Wink
i have the 780g and crossfire with an hd3450 but i'm only using one monitor (42" vizio lcd)
I am also having some tearing on playback of my .ts files
where do i set the "wait for vertical refresh rate?"
oh, and whats vmr9?
cgilson33 Wrote:oh, and whats vmr9?

VMR9 is a video renderer. You can choose the one you want in config on the Playback tab
Sadly, and I do believe it's a conspiracy or something, going to Vista + EVR solved a bunch of stuff for me including HA.
I seem now after some much further testing to be encountering the tearing problem. I have tried about all i can think of to no availe, i even tried to switch to vista, and for some reason things got worse and experience extreem stuttering, i think there is something going on there with vista drivers but will further investigate.

Any ideas on how to combat this anyone with a success story, maybe some advise on decoder/renderer, for XP and Vista

Thanks
Pages: 1 2