NextPVR Forums

Full Version: GBPVR presentation client-only?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now that my GB-PVR recording server is working with multiple tuners, I'm looking for a couple of small inexpensive mini-pc's to handle GB-PVR client presentation of SD/HD recorded material and Live TV from the server to to our TV sets/amps.

Originally I wanted to go for the PCH, but I've been warned it's unable to display DVB subtitles, which is a *must*. Shame, cause it's a really nice piece of hardware Sad

I've got Gigabit wired connection, need HDMI and SPDIF optical out (TV+surround amp). Classic setup I guess.

Any recommendations?
Guess that's a no...? :confused:

Noone's using a cheap lightweight PC client as GB-PVR extender for their TV sets?

What about the new eeeBox PC's (B204/206 or upcoming B208) - aren't they supposed to support 1080p?
Innocence Wrote:Guess that's a no...? :confused:

Noone's using a cheap lightweight PC client as GB-PVR extender for their TV sets?

What about the new eeeBox PC's (B204/206 or upcoming B208) - aren't they supposed to support 1080p?

Yes they are. But I only just heard of them uesterday.

I do know of the odd person using MiniMacs - but they're a bit limited for their video capability.

Also a bunch of people are using Popcorn Hours and MVPs - MVPs can't do HD though. And Depending on your HD service will depend on if the Popcorn Hour can do what you want it to.
I just ordered all the parts to my custom build and should have them tomorrow all in all i spent $312

Here is what i got

Case: Apex - dm387
Mobo - BIOSTAR TA790GX XE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813138140
Cheap 500gb sata hdd
AMD X2 5200
amd some gskill ram

If all goes well this should be the perfect client, although i am alitte worried about the 270watt power supply in case, atlease i bough it locally so i can return it and then i'll probably just get the antec case
psycik Wrote:Also a bunch of people are using Popcorn Hours
Yes, but to quote myself Smile
Quote:Originally I wanted to go for the PCH, but I've been warned it's unable to display DVB subtitles, which is a *must*
HD is a must too, so there goes the other GB-PVR extender option Sad
imagn Wrote:Case: Apex - dm387
Mobo - BIOSTAR TA790GX XE
Looks like mATX form factor, which is a little large for where I need to put it. 790G is a nice chipsset, let us know if it's able to play flawless HD. Which OS do you intend to use?
Quote:Cheap 500gb sata hdd
That's a large harddrive for what's essentially a streaming client - but then again they don't come much smaller anymore in 3,5" size Smile
Quote:i am alitte worried about the 270watt power supply in case
Why, 270W should be more than plenty?
The eee b208 sounds like a nice client to me, but it'll probably take a months before they're available going by Asus track record.

Quote:Originally I wanted to go for the PCH, but I've been warned it's unable to display DVB subtitles, which is a *must*
It is worth noting that a GB-PVR PC client is no different in this respect. Neither display DVB subtitles.
Hi

My client is a very cheap pc.

I've running

ASRock Motherboard with P4 2Ghz Machine
ATI 9600 (with DVI out)
Compact Flash Card (4Gb)
SATA to Compact Flash adaptor
Silverstone Case (LC11M) With 200 Watt PSU

all done for £134 (thanks to ebay)
sub Wrote:It is worth noting that a GB-PVR PC client is no different in this respect. Neither display DVB subtitles.
Oh noooooo! :eek: I was under the assumption the limitation was caused by the PCH hardware?!

So basically GB-PVR is a no-go for foreigners who need subtitles on Live TV? Sad
systemshark Wrote:ASRock Motherboard with P4 2Ghz Machine
ATI 9600 (with DVI out)
Compact Flash Card (4Gb)
SATA to Compact Flash adaptor
Silverstone Case (LC11M) With 200 Watt PSU
Ok, but you're not using this for HD right?
Using a CF card as a harddrive with a SATA adaptor is interresting. I didn't know this was possible. ~4Gb should be enough for a streaming client OS.
This may be of interest its Acers Ion

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/04/07/ace...ly-useful/
Pages: 1 2