NextPVR Forums

Full Version: HDMI picture quality.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I was wondering if there were any cable gurus out there!

I have a cheapie plexus 5m DVI cable running from my Rad 3450 to my TV, with a DVI to HDMI adaptor at the TV end.

I get a very grainy picture- rather than solid colours, I have grainy noise, that appears to move (the kind that you used to get in analogue). I also get a sparkly halo around (for example) football players and the stars in the Eurosport logo.

It's not obvious until you get close, but once I realised it was there, it has to go! I have tried ATI denoise options, etc, but all to no avail.

Cable gurus- before I rush out buy something expensive, do you think that this is worth a try? If so, what make would you go for?

Thanks in advance!!

PS- I have the resolution set to 1080p, so I was wondering if the loverly copy protection might be lowering picture quality for non HD content??
I'm no guru, but what you describe doesn't sound like a digital (and therefore a cable) issue. Poor quality digital is more likely to to manifest itself as pixellation, or blockiness. Problem (it seems to me) is likely to lie somewhere else.

That said, I'm ready to be corrected by the more knowledgeable...
I don't know..maybe try the VGA connection if you have one? I have all my HD stuff hooked in via VGA just because of the easy factor. If you don't have one, I don't know what else could be tried..
That would be a video decoder issue. HDMI is digital as liteswap mentioned, it's either on or off, signal or no signal, picture or no picture. ("Blocking" is caused by no signal for a split second).

Try a different decoder and see if you get better results.
Thanks for the advice- I think it must be cable related- decoder changes and tweaks don't make any difference- if I use composite, there is no problem. Hey! But guess what, although it will play all my (theoretically illegal) TV recordings via composite, it will not let me play my legitamately owned DVDs as I am upscaling them.

Don'tyajustlove content protection!

I'll give VGA a go.

Daniel
its not the cable
it will be your card drivers/decoder or something along those lines \
you said you were upscaling that can cause strange things
plus if your screen is not running the native resolution things like what you are talking about can happen with a digital signal cause its trying to make up for a picture that is not there
dvi/hdmi you will get picture or you wont as whurlston said

yeah if you read about copy protection it only kicks in when you go above a certain resolution or some crap