NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Xvid/DivX playback picture quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I've just recently built a new HTPC for playing back media files only as I now have a cable co HD PVR. My previous setup did all of my recording now this system is only for playing music and video files. I was wondering if anyone had any settings or advice to maximize PQ when playing back Xvid or Divx files. These files play back smoothly but are very soft. I am comparing them to the same files burnt on a DVD and played back on a Toshiba upconverting DVD player. On the DVD they are much sharper. I realize the DVD has a dedicated chip to so the scaling but this system should have more than enough power to so the same , I think. I have looked at the FFDshow decoder setting and have played with a few but no noticeable improvements.

The HTPC is running via a vga cable to a Toshiba 37" LCD.

Thanks
Mike
You are comparing the video output from a business pc to that from an upscaling dvd player. Your PC is going to loose!

What you are you in effect saying "how can I improve the video output from my pc"

Do you have your graphics card set to the native resolution of the TV?
If so, then I belive your graphics card will upscale the image. How well it does this, depends on your graphics card, which I doubt will be particually good on the HP D530.

Here is a guide to getting ffdshow to upscale and tweak the image (I've not followed it as I don't yet have a flat panel screen)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=719041
The size of this system was the deciding factor , it's about the size of a vcr. I tried some of those tweaks but didn't see a noticeable improvement. I just found in the workshop an older ATI 9200SE which is a low profile card so I could stick it in this system and see if it makes a difference. I assume this card should be a bit better although it is a little long in the tooth.

also the Intel card doesn;t have 1360x768 which is closer to my tv's native 1366x768.
I had a 9200 (non SE) when I build my very first gbpvr pc. The image was very soft in s-video output. I immediately replaced it with a 9600pro that I had knocking around and it was much better. The Nvidia 6600GT I replaced it with was better again. The s-video output from the ATI 4670 in my new gbpvr pc blows all the earlier cards into the weeds.

As you aleady have the card, it's worth having a go but don't expect miracles (the SE model is light-weight). It may be worth experimenting with different resolutions.
different version drivers always made a big difference on the svideo output aswell
I am using the VGA output on this pc, I have never been happy with any cards tv out to be honest.
I just installed the 9200SE and the latest drivers are a few years old but they support 1360x768 (tv is 1366x768) The best thing is it doesn't stretch to fit the screen rather I have about 15mm on either side of the screen that are black bars. Hardly noticeable at all but the improvement in PQ with Xvid/Divx files is huge. I would say it is near par what my upconverting DVD player looks like , although 30mm narrower which I have no problems with. I'm sure I can play with power strip and make a custom resolution but I am happy with the quality and the fact I can stop burning DVD's for all these files. Thanks guys.
great! - glad you got it working how you like.