NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Using Video Capture Card (not tuner) with Cable box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is this possible? I tried searching but didn't come up with much.

I just want a very simple setup to replace a vcr (haha). I want to tune with my cable box and be able to record with my htpc. Can i do this with gbpvr?

would I be better of getting a card with a tuner and getting an IR blaster to control the cable box and htpc?
The reality is that most/all of the devices that have the required MPEG2 encoder hardware also have a tuner. I'm not aware of anything that dont have a tuner (except Hauppauge HD-PVR, which would be overkill and is relatively expensive).
sub Wrote:The reality is that most/all of the devices that have the required MPEG2 encoder hardware also have a tuner. I'm not aware of anything that dont have a tuner (except Hauppauge HD-PVR, which would be overkill and is relatively expensive).

An Adaptec Vide-Oh PCI has only A/V inputs and a hardware MPEG2 encoder, if you can find one (not sure they are still being produced).
Its probably now worth the hassle of hunting down a tunerless device. Just get a common well supported card (ie, Hauppauge one) and just dont use the svideo/composite inputs.
Yes, Yes, and Yes :-)