NextPVR Forums

Full Version: What does it take to interface GBPVR with DishNetwork satellite TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My local cable company keeps changing the channels I can get without a cable box (free QAM), and I'm now down to just the local channels I can get with an antenna. I think Discovery is the only cable channel I can still get.

I've been considering upgrading to either "Digital Starter" service from my cable company (Comcast), or signing up with the TurboHD service from Dish Network. The satellite option would give me all HD channels which would be great, but the cable company includes a couple of standard def channels at the same cost that I'm more interested in. But, it seems like I keep paying more for cable and getting less. Smile

Anyway, I'm curious what it would take to interface GBPVR with the Dish Network receivers so I could record HD material on my computer. Is there any way to keep it all digital, or would I have to take the analog output of the dish receiver and re-encode it again? If so, what cards can encode analog material in High Def?

I suppose it would probably be easier to just get one of their DVR's, but I like having everything centralized in one place. I also have GBPVR setup to remove commercials, and customize my TV listings the way I like.

Is there any way to change channels with Dish receivers other than an IR blaster? I no longer have the ones that came with my HVR-1600's, does anyone sell these aftermarket?

If I opt to upgrade to a digital cable package, am I basically limited to analog re-encoding from the set top boxes also?

Thanks,

Anthony
If your looking to record HD that isn't OTA or QAM, the only option I know of is the Hauppauge HD DVR (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html)

On satellite, nothing is broadcast 'in the clear'.
Quote:Is there any way to change channels with Dish receivers other than an IR blaster?

No.

Quote:I no longer have the ones that came with my HVR-1600's, does anyone sell these aftermarket?

I use this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-MCE-Media-...7C294%3A50

I got mine for about $16, so check Ebay in more detail. You might find replacement hardware for your HVR-1600.