NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Motherboards frying
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a question to those building their own HTPC. I had the server system in my signature working, continuously on, for about 11 months and then the motherboard apparently fried. It just was found off and wouldn't turn on - my usb stuff was powered on but the computer wouldn't turn on. This was a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H. I tried a new power supply and changing the memory out but nothing...so I ordered another one, this time it was a slightly different model number, GA-MA78GM-US2H.

After reinstalling everything, putting in the newer MB drivers, everything was up and running again. It turned itself off after like 1 hour. I didn't make anything of it, but I did check temps and the temps were fine (CPU was around 45-48C).

This time it ran for at least 3-4 hours. Woke up this morning, it's off again. Tried to unplug, turn on...NOTHING. The power button blinks the light off for like .1 secs but no power. USB things are powered.

Do you think I got another bad board, or is it possible CPU or P/S or Hauppauge 1800 are frying it? This MB has an integrated ATI HD3200 running off VGA to an LCD TV 720P.

I think I'll try running the spare P/S - the current one is 300W, the spare is 350W. These are of the "mini" variety due to the smaller case size.

Any comments? Has this sort of thing happen to anyone?

I will be RMAing this tonight back to Newegg if the spare P/S doesn't power it up.
That sounds like a power supply issue. I speak from experience as a computer consultant/tech, that's not just a guess based on your description.
Well, I do have another power supply so I try that on the new board and if it's truly fried, I'll keep using it on the next RMA'd one.
So, is it possible a faulty power supply can be consistently frying the motherboard?
If you used the old psu when u replaced the mobo, I would also agree that it could be the psu killing the boards.

The only other tought was that you might be shorting the back of the board out on the case due to missing/wrong stand-offs.

http://www.bigbruin.com/2007/inwinmtjade_4

it looks like u have an SFX psu. you should consider getting one from one of the big-boys such as seasonic

http://www.seasonic.com/product/pc_sfx.jsp

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article286-page1.html

This latest iteration, despite its generic looks, is something of a find for custom quiet PC builders. It's small yet quite powerful, highly efficient in converting AC to DC, and pretty quiet all around. The maximum power output of 300W is plenty for something like an Athlon 64-based media center, or even a midrange single video card gaming rig; there is plenty of juice on the 12V line.

The power delivery was excellent throughout testing. Voltage rails were very tightly regulated, and it delivered the full rated power without complaint. Cooling was excellent even at high loads. Operating environments that are hotter than the 40°C seen by the PSU at full power in the test box might cause faster fan speed ramp-up, but most system builders will not subject this PSU to such high steady steady power load, anyway.
gazoo Wrote:So, is it possible a faulty power supply can be consistently frying the motherboard?

I haven't run into that specific problem, but I can certainly imagine it happening. If power supply is supplying power way out of tolerance, the power regulation section on the mainboard gets beaten to death until something breaks.

You didn't say specifically, but I'm guessing by now you've determined the new board is in fact dead?

It's certainly also possible that your first board went bad because sometimes they just do, and your second board was effectively DOA because sometimes they just are. In other words, bum luck.
Yes, I checked it out a few hours ago and the new board is also dead. I just sent for another one and it will hopefully be here tomorrow. I can't be sure if the power supply killed it or not, it could have been DOA as you said.

I will, however, put he spare supply in for fear of another death. These boards haven't had a good track record so it is possible that it was really about to die but I won't tempt fate and I'll try a different P/S.

Oh and for the record, I did NOT smell anything burning or weird either of the times. I would have expected something dramatic but that wasn't the case.
Is the original powersupply a 20 or 24 pin one?
Both are 24 pin. The first one has the 4 pin separated a little (like if you didn't need to use it). The second has 24 pin. It is a micro-ATX power supply
The reason I ask is I've read all over the internet that you can use a 20pin power supply with a 24pin board "apparently" without issue, but after having tried it personally, my power supply fried after a little less than a year.

Regardless, I'd strongly suspect the power supply is flaky in your case.
Pages: 1 2