NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New to gbpvr
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, sorry if this is a boring read for some but I have been reading the forums/wiki for a few weeks now and have some questions.

What I would like to do is turn my dell Pentium D 3.0 ghz dual core with 3 GB of ram into a media server running gbpvr. I have installed a hvr-1600 and another atsc capture card I removed from a new Gateway computer into the machine as I would like dual tuner capability. I dont have that working as yet but dont forsee any problems.

My problems come in here: I want to capture OTA ATSC from local stations (have antenna in attic) and then push them from Gbpvr server to several tv's in the house over cat5. I have 1 HDTV and 2 SD tv's. Can I do this ????

I would like to watch HD on the HD set but am confused about the process. I was initially thinking of getting a MediaMVP but later found out it wont do HD. So I started looking at the PCH A-110. But by the looks of it that thing costs $280 (give or take). Is that right? If so, I dont think I am going that route.. Are there any other alternatives for HD in a set top box?

So to get to the crux of it, can I record the OTA ATSC and send it to multiple tv's?? If I get a MediaMVP for my SD set can I then watch the same show, Live with pause capability on the HD set and then go in and finish watching it on the SD set???

I have tried searching the forums but there seems to be a steep learning curve with this technology due to the extensive use of acronyms..
I spend more time googling the words found in this forum than actually reading and understanding the posts here...

Any help appreciated.

Eric
Now that I have had time to think about it. Let me ask this:

I currently have rabbit ears connected to a converter box and then into my HD TV.. I assume the signal I get from that isn't HD right? It still looks good enough for me so can I accomplish that level of video quality with a MediaMVP?

Eric
I am confused about what you want to do just in reading the two posts. The strategy about recording via an ATSC to SD converter is quite different then redistributing at OTA capture direct.

For digital captures, it's not so much quality its the difficulty in transcoding the digital stream into an MVP compatible format. Even the SD ATSC and QAM broadcasts I capture are difficult to process.

From the tone of your email it looks like you want someone to tell you the MVP will work and that won't be me. As soon as you think about pausing LiveTV I feel you are going to be disappointed.

For a total of $167 shipped in the US, as an alternative to the PCH A110 there is a EGreat NMT that I mentioned here http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=3...stcount=12 I still have a used PCH A100 that I will trade for it should there be compatibility issues, (first come first served though) There are cheaper media extenders if you don't care about using the GBPVR interface, but you will lose live tv.

Martin
ehutte Wrote:I spend more time googling the words found in this forum than actually reading and understanding the posts here...
Wikipedia quite often is a better source than Google for finding the meanings of acronyms.
What I want to do is have dvr functionality while watching live tv (over the air atsc). I am confused about the different picture qualities out there. I have a hd tv, but at this point just want the picture to come in on all tv's and dont really care about HD. I searched for your EGreat EG M34 but cant seem to find them under $275. Can you or someone point me in the right direction of a seller for that item. After reading your linked post about the EGreat EG M34, it seems my best bet would be to move the computer right next to the tv and just hook the tv up via the computers video card ?? Not sure how to feed the other tv's but maybe that is beyond the scope of this technology...
ehutte Wrote:After reading your linked post about the EGreat EG M34, it seems my best bet would be to move the computer right next to the tv and just hook the tv up via the computers video card ?? Not sure how to feed the other tv's but maybe that is beyond the scope of this technology...
Hi Eric,

Maybe you should read that post again Smile. With a NMT you'll get the full GBPVR interface next to your TV, without the problems of an HTPC (codecs and such). And it's not limited to one NMT, you can use several at the same time. So you can watch a recording (or live tv) down stairs and continue to watch in your bedroom, or anywhere else you've got an NMT and a TV. But maybe you should start with one NMT first and see if you like it.

Chris
Ok, that makes sence. The only problem I have now is finding the NMT (look me forever to find out that means network media tank !) that I can afford.

But just to clarify the MediaMVP doesnt work all that well ?? I see a lot of posts here about them and they are priced right but I would like to be able to pause live tv and after coming back from the bathroom continue watching ....Big Grin

In any event it sounds like I have done to this project what I do to all projects, make them way too complicated and start working on the caboose before the engine has left the station...

Thanks...
ehutte Wrote:I have tried searching the forums but there seems to be a steep learning curve with this technology due to the extensive use of acronyms..

I don't have anything helpful for you, other than I completely understand what you are saying. It IS a steep learning curve! For the first month I felt like beating my head against the wall. I will tell you this forum was the best place I have found to find out what you want to know. On the other hand the wiki is hit or miss, as a good part of it is outdated - but don't pass up reading there anyhow - there is a lot of good info in there.

Make good use of the search feature in the upper right side of the screen of each forum. I would have been lost without it.

Lastly, it looks like you have the basic things to need to get started, maybe you should try to get one TV up and running before you try hooking everything else up.
The MediaMVP is a much earlier device and worked wonderfully well with what you have in mind - BUT - for analogue tuners. When digital tuners and/or HD arrived then the MVP, which can only handle mpeg video just were not up to the job (which is maybe whey they are cheaply available now!).
ehutte Wrote:I searched for your EGreat EG M34 but cant seem to find them under $275. Can you or someone point me in the right direction of a seller for that item....

After Martin posted about this network media tank I got interested in finding out more information & found it within seconds with google (although the model seems to be EGreat EG-M34A), try these links below they both have them for $159US+freight at the moment they were $149 about a week ago when I looked.

http://www.egreatusa.com/egreat-egm34a-n...k-n34.html
http://www.deflixious.com/
Pages: 1 2