NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Replacing my old MediaMVP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My MediaMVP (model 86002 Rev D3A) has just stopped working and need to replace it. Should I go for a newer version, a NMT (whatever that is Smile ) or something else? Pls, any advice - pros/cons appreciated!

regards
Jakob
As always of course the answer will be "That depends"! In this particular case it depends on :-
1. Budget. A NMT device is considerably more expensive than an MVP.
2. What you want to watch. If you plan (or would like) to view HD content, then you should seriously think about moving to a NMT.
3. Whether you're prepared to disturb what I presume is a stable system. You will need to at least upgrade GBPVR if you want to use the NMT.

That all said, if you can afford it, my advice would be go for the PopCornHour - probably an A110. Especially if you have a good LCD TV. The work that has been done recently by sub and mvallevand means that it is now well worth the extra money and will remain my device of choice for a good while. There are other NMT's, but the PCH is the best supported in this forum by a long way.

As you can see from my sig, I have both MVP's and PCH's. The MVP's are becoming increasingly sidelined as I record more and more HD broadcasts.

As to what a NetworkedMediaTank is, others may be able to give you a more technical outline, but fundementally it is a more up to date MVP with better hardware and the ability to have it's own local storage. It is also capable of providing connections to lots of different media sources and outputting up to 1080p HDTV. For me though, the "killer ap" is its excellent integration with GBPVR. Different flavours of NMT exist, but they all share the same Sygma Designs chipset and offer very similar functionality.

The only other real alternative would be a slave GBPVR PC, I tried that route, but for my needs, the NMT was a much better option. Actually after I binned the slave PC, I reused the Matx case and put a PCH B110 in it.

Hope that hasn't raised more questions than it answers (probably!)

Martyn.