NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Error process cannot access cache because it is in use by another process
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying UltraXMLTV_Enhancer on my new Vista build. I'm getting a message from Vista that "A program can't display a message on your desktop" When I display the message, it's from UltraXMLTV_Enhancer and it's an error telling me the process can't access a file in XML_cache because it is in use by another process.

I run multiple EPG's, for multiple sources, so it sounds like the update batch file is launching UltraXMLTV_Enhancer several times, which is then stepping on itself.

Any comments on either why it can't display to the desktop or what's happening?

The UpdateEPG.bat uses mc2xml twice (for analog then QAM), then uses UltraXMLTV_Enhancer.exe twice to enhance the xml files.

Thanks!
dennit Wrote:I'm trying UltraXMLTV_Enhancer on my new Vista build. I'm getting a message from Vista that "A program can't display a message on your desktop" When I display the message, it's from UltraXMLTV_Enhancer and it's an error telling me the process can't access a file in XML_cache because it is in use by another process.

I run multiple EPG's, for multiple sources, so it sounds like the update batch file is launching UltraXMLTV_Enhancer several times, which is then stepping on itself.

Any comments on either why it can't display to the desktop or what's happening?

The UpdateEPG.bat uses mc2xml twice (for analog then QAM), then uses UltraXMLTV_Enhancer.exe twice to enhance the xml files.

Thanks!

I can't comment on the Vista message.

It's my suggestion that you run first mc2xml then Ultra, and then the 2nd mc2xml and then Ultra.

Also check your batch file. It smells like the batch file is calling the program and not waiting for it to finish. That's why it seems like a program is stepping on another instance's toes.
zehd Wrote:I can't comment on the Vista message.

It's my suggestion that you run first mc2xml then Ultra, and then the 2nd mc2xml and then Ultra.

OK, that makes sense - I'll revise the order to enhance immediately after each MC2XML run instead of waiting until they are all done.

Quote:Also check your batch file. It smells like the batch file is calling the program and not waiting for it to finish. That's why it seems like a program is stepping on another instance's toes.

That's what it seems like to me too, but I'm not sure how that could happen. I've looked at the batch file several times. Right now, it does all the MC2XML runs first, then the enhance runs.

One thing I have noticed is that the file in use by another process error in the cache seems to refer to the same file every time. The file is the cache file for the program "Lost". (sorry I don't have the file name/number with me now - if you want it let me know, and I'll pick it up tonight - it's something like 7647 or 7697)
dennit Wrote:OK, that makes sense - I'll revise the order to enhance immediately after each MC2XML run instead of waiting until they are all done.

That's what it seems like to me too, but I'm not sure how that could happen. I've looked at the batch file several times. Right now, it does all the MC2XML runs first, then the enhance runs.

One thing I have noticed is that the file in use by another process error in the cache seems to refer to the same file every time. The file is the cache file for the program "Lost". (sorry I don't have the file name/number with me now - if you want it let me know, and I'll pick it up tonight - it's something like 7647 or 7697)

Unless things have changed, 'Lost' shouldn't be giving problems...

If you get a file lock like that, try restarting the computer and then running the batch file. It's quite possible that a failed attempt is staying in memory...
zehd Wrote:try restarting the computer and then running the batch file. It's quite possible that a failed attempt is staying in memory...
I thought I'd post that my problems all seem to be resolved in case anyone sees this thread. I believe what was happening was that my UpdateEPG.bat file had some lines like

Code:
\Path\To\UltraXMLTV_Enhancer\UltraXMLTV_Enhancer.exe PathToXMLFile\XMLEPGFile.XML
That attempts to execute the program from a remote directory. That's not the way I normally set up my batch files, which is:

Code:
c:
cd \Path\To\UltraXMLTV_Enhancer
UltraXMLTV_Enhancer.exe PathToXMLFile\XMLEPGFile.XML

I'm not sure why I did it wrong, but set up the first way it was hanging in memory and having various problems. When I noticed this, I changed it to the second method and that seems to have fixed it. It seems to be happy regardless of whether I enhance immediately after each EPG update or wait until all the EPG source files have been downloaded and then enhance each.
dennit Wrote:I thought I'd post that my problems all seem to be resolved in case anyone sees this thread. I believe what was happening was that my UpdateEPG.bat file had some lines like

Code:
\Path\To\UltraXMLTV_Enhancer\UltraXMLTV_Enhancer.exe PathToXMLFile\XMLEPGFile.XML
That attempts to execute the program from a remote directory. That's not the way I normally set up my batch files, which is:

Code:
c:
cd \Path\To\UltraXMLTV_Enhancer
UltraXMLTV_Enhancer.exe PathToXMLFile\XMLEPGFile.XML

I'm not sure why I did it wrong, but set up the first way it was hanging in memory and having various problems. When I noticed this, I changed it to the second method and that seems to have fixed it. It seems to be happy regardless of whether I enhance immediately after each EPG update or wait until all the EPG source files have been downloaded and then enhance each.

Glad you got it