NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Refubished Popcorn Hour Units
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yesterday I posted about some MVP nostalgia and if you like the MVP price I noticed that the original PCH A100 is now being sold online http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/i...efurbished for $99 US with a 90 day warranty. It doesn't have all the features of the current models like the EGreat or the A110 most importantly no DTS downmix, the price is pretty good if your prime need is GBPVR content.

Martin
Thanks for the heads-up. I just placed my order.

tobor
I had a look last night and they were out of stock... This morning another batch became available. Placed an order, approx £80 (GBP) with shipping; thanks for the info mvallevand.

Is the lack of DTS downmix a major problem/failing? Excuse my ignorance, but my knowledge of video/audio 'stuff' is limited (I'm on a steep learning curve ATM).
It depends on your needs. You'd find DTS only audio in many BluRay recordings that you might download as an mkv or rip for backup. You won't find DTS in any analog or digital captures that you make with GBPVR. DVD's could have DTS but most have AC3 too.

There are work arounds too. If you have a AVR many decode DTS so there is no need to pay twice. Also there are utilities that convert DTS to AC3 ie AudioConverter http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=20887

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:It depends on your needs. You'd find DTS only audio in many BluRay recordings that you might download as an mkv or rip for backup. You won't find DTS in any analog or digital captures that you make with GBPVR. DVD's could have DTS but most have AC3 too.

There are work arounds too. If you have a AVR many decode DTS so there is no need to pay twice. Also there are utilities that convert DTS to AC3 ie AudioConverter http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=20887

Martin

I just checked some of my mkv 'backups' and a few have DTS soundtracks, I'll convert them to AC3 soundtracks while I wait for the PCH to arrive (no AVR).

Your reply just saved me many hours of head scratching and my family from being subjected to my cussing... thank you.
I have been asked to order a couple of NMT's for my brother therefore I actually "read" terms & conditions & noticed this

Quote:Each Popcorn Hour Refurbished Product is:
* Fully tested including media playback over HDD & network
* Tested on all video outputs (CVBS, YPbPr-720p, HDMI-1080p) and USB ports
* Is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective parts identified in testing
* Repackaged with all original accessories - cables and power supply unit bundled
* Flashed with the most current firmware available during refurbishing procedures (You can update/download the latest firmware from our official website)
* Undergoes a final QC inspection in RMA center before ready to sell and ship to customer

as we know from a number of messages on these forums from users that have purchased one they often don't have the most current firmware on them.........hmmm wonder what else isn't being done?

Oh well off to order a few that is if they have any in stock at the moment. Smile

Curses.....out of stock Sad
* Flashed with the most current firmware available during refurbishing procedures (You can update/download the latest firmware from our official website

I think they refurbed them as they came in , not on the way out.
Jaggy Wrote:I have been asked to order a couple of NMT's for my brother therefore I actually "read" terms & conditions & noticed this

as we know from a number of messages on these forums from users that have purchased one they often don't have the most current firmware on them.........hmmm wonder what else isn't being done?

Oh well off to order a few that is if they have any in stock at the moment. Smile

Curses.....out of stock Sad

I'm thinking they test these and if something is wrong with it they just replace the motherboard rather than trying to fix the motherboard. Theoretically the motherboard passed quality control and had the most recent firmware as of the time of mfg, so they are probably just counting that as their stringent refurb process.

My refurb works fine - once I installed the "stepping stone" firmware and then the most recent firmware.
SLR_65 Wrote:My refurb works fine - once I installed the "stepping stone" firmware and then the most recent firmware.

Whats a "stepping stone" firmware? Can't you just upgrade to the most recent from any old firmware?
Barsk Wrote:Whats a "stepping stone" firmware? Can't you just upgrade to the most recent from any old firmware?

With PCH's on the early firmware it was possible to destroy the device during a firmware upgrade (irretrievable failed flash upgrade) commonly known as turning it into a brick.

They then brought out a new layout of firmware that had a special recovery loader - but this needed to be installed in order to load newer firmware.

So yes, you need to install the stepstone firmware to update the loader.
Pages: 1 2