NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Using 2 routers, MediaMVP can't find Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have two routers:

(INTERNET)
|
| WIRED
|
ROUTER 1 (DHCP Running) <--WIRED-- GBPVR Server
|
| WIRED
|
Router 2 (Static, using Router 1 for DHCP) <--WIRED-- MEDIAMVP

Router 1: 192.168.1.1
GBPVR: 192.168.1.6

Router 2: 192.168.2.1
MediaMVP: 192.168.2.2

MEDIAMVP cannot find the GBPVR Server. If I connect a laptop ROUTER 2 I can connect to the internet (it goes through Router 1). You think its a firewall issue and router 1 is blocking Router 2? Or can the router1/router2 be configured differently.

Thanks,
Aliusa
I struggled with a similar setup for a while, and I'm pretty sure the MVP needs to be on the same network segment (i.e. 192.168.1.x) as the gbpvr server. I think you can set your second router to a static IP outside of your dhcp range on that segment and be good to go.

This would look like
Router 1: 192.168.1.1
GBPVR: 192.168.1.6

Router 2: 192.168.1.2
MediaMVP: 192.168.1.7

Router 1 DHCP set to use 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.255 as an example
It's been so long but i had this problem once and did get it working, though not flawlessly, by putting one of the routers in a bridge mode, essentially turning it into a managed switch. I've since gone the route of a much larger switch with a single router at the head end, as my network has grown with more and more IP connected devices.
I think it is the bootp of the MVP to load its software that can't be routed.
I'm just curious why you would want a router as the second device??
The closest setup to that I had was having a wired and a wireless router in the same system. I had my cable modem feeding the wired router (x.x.x.1) then manually set the wireless router to (x.x.x.2) and turned off its DHCP and then hooked them together trough there LAN ports leaving the Wan port on the wireless empty. And of couse making sure the DHCP on the wired started above (x.x.x.2)

But your current setup is separating GBPVR and the MVP onto different subnets and so the broadcast address is different on each so they cant find each other.

Currenty you have
Router #1
192.168.1.1, Netmask 255.255.255.0 withe the resulting Broadcast of 192.168.1.255

Router #2
192.168.2.1, Netmask 255.255.255.0 withe the resulting Broadcast of 192.168.2.255

Both routers will not pass there broadcast address though their wan port.

So to do what I did when I did the 2 router approach, you need to configure your second router first and manually set it's IP so you can get to it's interface, I would choose 192.168.1.2 in your setup. and then turn off it's DHCP Server. Then Connect both routers lan ports Either with a crossover cable, or if your router supports Auto-MDIX or Nways (Auto sensing) on its lan ports, then you can use any network cable. Then make sure your first router's DHCP server starts above the second routers address. Just make shure the Wan port on router 2 is no longer used,

Now router #1's DHCP server can set up the rest of your network.

-BrainStormer-
Hi

I'm fairly sure the bootp request isn't be routed between the two networks aka from .2.x network with the MediaMVP device to the GBPVR Server on the .1.x network.

(MartinT123 - BootP can be routed. but it needs to be hand coded as the normal position to is have the server on the same segment of the network)

Aliusa, you're going to need a routing entry in the router 2 for the request to directed to GBPVR Server. your going to need to build a manual entry for that.

The Quicker solution is I'd flatten the network and remove the 2nd .2.x network completely. (just disable the NATing etc in router) so you can use the ports for ethernet.
Thanks guys -- actually got it to work. I suspected the different segment was the issue. So I ended up puting my second router on x.x.1.2 (static/no dhcp, setting dhcp server to x.x.1.1 (router 1)) and instead of connecting router 1 to the wan of router 2 I plugged into a lan port. FYI, Router 1 - Netgear and Router 2 Linksys WRT (running OpenWRT). I did notice some video degration but I suspect some loss in quality. But it's bearable.

So now my next problem Smile

I want to setup my second MVP it's an H3 (supposedly wireless). My MVP#1 is D3A Rev 1.0 and using the mvpmc dongle. I know for H3 there's another dongle. Can I use the H3 dongle with D3A too?

Also, has anyone successfully gotten H3 to work wirelessly? Mine keep going to "wired."

Specs MVP#2:
Rev 2.05
Ver 1.1.38/1.1.38

Thanks,
Aliusa
There is no problem with using the same dongle since mvpmc works with all models of the MVP including wireless. WEP 64 is not supported however.

The wireless subnet has to be the same too and you want to to connect to your LAN on the LAN side and not the WAN side.

Martin
Thanks...

But no go wireless, I have a feeling even though it has a wireless mac address label on the bottom something is missing. Maybe this unit was one of those "in between" models that never were fully upgraded for wifi. I opened up the unit and noticed there was a slot on top but has nothing installed on it.

Anyone heard of this?

Thanks,
Aliusa
The H3 is both wired and wireless and I think they did show both MAC addresses even for the wired model. The wireless adapter is a PCMCIA card so if the slot is empty you have a standard wired MVP.

Martin