NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Wishing switch from SD to HDTV (awesome picture)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My setup is showing it's age. I have 2 MVP's, a PVR-500 and PVR-150. This was all great until I switched out my tube TV for a new 1080p set.

Now I have a couple of 1080p LCD's, and although I have an MVP hooked to one, I rarely use it. My cable company provided a dual tuner DVR that handles the HD channels.

I have been looking for a good time to jump back in update my equipment, and I'm wondering if it has finally arrived.

Does somebody have recomendations regarding upgrading from a SD setup to:

HVR-2250 dual tuner (to replace the PVR-500)
Egreat EG-M34A (to replace MVP)

The tuner scares me more then the NMT. The comments I've read about it are all over the board.

I live in the USA, and have a mix of wired and wireless MVPs, not sure if NMT's will work well wireless. I am really missing comskip, and GBPVR. I'd like to hear from somebody that has a multi-tuner setup recording digital HD QAM channels in the US.

I'd like to have 3-4 tuners up and going on QAM.
I recently added a 2250 with no problem, and got Comcast QAM setup without problem. The NMT is next on my list.
Make sure your cable company has enough clear QAM channels to make it worthwhile. Some offer only the locals in the clear, if that. Otherwise about the only option for HD is an HD-PVR fed from your cable box or what you can get over the air.
Before you buy multiple tuners, I would check how many of the channels you have available are on the same TS. I only get the big 4 in clear QAM besides PBS and the network weather. That said, I can get all the big 4 on 2 TS's. With multi record, I could record all 4 shows available on 2 tuners. If you want to record any more, you will likely need an HD-PVR, like zed said.