NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Pinnacle PCTV HD Stick Pro 801e ATSC OTA Scan fix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just went through 2 days of abuse trying to figure out why my 801e usb stick would scan for broadcast channels and not find any or return any errors during the scan. I can get 50+ channels with the bundled software, so obviously, something was wrong. After searching the forums I noticed I'm not the first one to have this problem.

I don't have cable but tried some QAM scans anyway to see what would happen and wound up getting a couple of broadcast channels. After a little more experimenting with whurlston's qam.ini's, and some comparison to the atsc freq specs, I realized what was going on. The frequencies from the QAM scans that pulled broadcast channels were using the video freq for the channels, not the assigned atsc carrier freq. In the lower 13 channel slots these are roughly the same but above that range the video freq. is roughly 1mhz higher than the atsc carrier freq for that channel. I.E., in slot 2 the video freq is 55250 and the atsc carrier freq is 55310 but in slot 15 the video freq is 477250 and the atsc carrier freq is 476310. It appears that whurlstons center freq based qam.ini is using the video freqs and without that I would never have figured this out, so, thanks man Smile

I made an all.ini that uses the video freqs for broadcast tv and voila, I ran a new scan and had 50+ channels in the list.

So, for those of you wishing I'd just get to the point, sorry for being so long winded Smile

Here is an all.ini file that uses the video frequencies for the broadcast channels, replace your current one with this one and you should be good to go for over the air broadcast channels.

Also, I had created my own entry in the bda.ini thinking that might be the issue, but the first "Pinnacle HD Stick Pro" setting in the stock bda.ini file works fine.

Hope this is useful to someone other than me Wink
An interesting post. I am having various problems with my Pinnacle stick:

http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?t=41673&page=3

Do you think your experience might be relevant here?

Thanks

Tim