NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Replacing MVP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have my new refurb A-100 working like a charm as a replacement for the MVP, but two things affect the WAF, and I need to confirm, at this point in time:

1) Running from a share, can the NMT wake the PC from standby? (like MVPMC did so well with WOL) I've tried the ether-wake here without success. Tell me it is possible and I will keep trying.

2) Can the NMT start up directly into GBPVR? Finding it in media sources seems to be confusing for the WAF, particularly if the PC is sleeping. Can't seem to find a clear answer on this.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
For me, the answers are below - I would love to hear differently.

(1) If the share is on the PC you are trying to wake, then no. (I used a USB stick instead of a share for this reason, then moved to IDE drive to use the pch as an occasional source of mobile entertainment. (thinking, I may try moving the share to a NAS).

(2) Not that I have managed to do. Although it can be started other than via media sources, it still needs restarting if the server sleeps (well mine does).
1) My PC wakes from the PCH and I don't think I am doing anything special. I have the share on the PC. To get the PC to sleep, I have to exit from gbpvr on the PCH. When I restart into gbpvr (see below), it wakes the PC
2) I am using this start script, http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=43280&page=4 . This will start into gbpvr when you reboot the PCH. To get the PC to sleep, I exit out of GBPVR and it comes to the start script screen. You then cancel a restart and I turn off the PCH there. To wake, I just power the PCH up and manually start the start script (you will understand if you use this). It sits for about 20 seconds while it wakes the PC, and launches automatically into gbpvr.

Again, I used a default config and have not done anything tricky except for the start script. I am on vista 64 if that matters.
soccerdad Wrote:1) My PC wakes from the PCH and I don't think I am doing anything special. I have the share on the PC. To get the PC to sleep, I have to exit from gbpvr on the PCH. When I restart into gbpvr (see below), it wakes the PC
Do you mean you just let it go into standby on it's own? I usually use system->standby when shutting down in the evening.

Quote:2) I am using this start script, http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=43280&page=4 . This will start into gbpvr when you reboot the PCH. To get the PC to sleep, I exit out of GBPVR and it comes to the start script screen. You then cancel a restart and I turn off the PCH there. To wake, I just power the PCH up and manually start the start script (you will understand if you use this). It sits for about 20 seconds while it wakes the PC, and launches automatically into gbpvr.

Again, I used a default config and have not done anything tricky except for the start script. I am on vista 64 if that matters.
I have that same script, but as an .html that I have to go to and click on every time. How do you get it to start GBPVR when you reboot the PCH? put it startup somehow? You don't use the ether-wake at all?

Thanks for the help, and the hope that it's possible.
Hi roy. Most people will need ether-wake to send a WOL message to their PC and as martin123 said you likely would need to either to run mvpmcx2 from USB or hard disk to enable this.

There is no way to autostart mvpmc2 currently. It would be possible using CSI and a hard disk but no one has talked to the author of CSI about this.

Hopefully your wife will get used to the 3 or 4 clicks needed to start mvpmc2.

Martin
roy Wrote:Do you mean you just let it go into standby on it's own? I usually use system->standby when shutting down in the evening..
I exit gbpvr on the PCH, then manually sleep the PCH while it is on the startup script screen. I let the PC go into standby on its own ~15 minutes.

Quote:I have that same script, but as an .html that I have to go to and click on every time. How do you get it to start GBPVR when you reboot the PCH? put it startup somehow? You don't use the ether-wake at all?

Thanks for the help, and the hope that it's possible.
When the PCH reboots, it waits about 15-20 seconds on the main screen, then the start script automatically tries to start into gbpvr. At that time it wakes the PC. If the PC starts fast enough, it goes right into gbpvr. If it lags, I get a network not found message, hit return. I hit return and it launches the script again and goes right into gbpvr.

I only put the index.html in the share folder. Nothing in any starup or any ether wake.

Honestly I don't know what I did special to make it work, I thought that is how it is supposed to work. When I get a chance I will look and see how my NIC on the PC is configured for wake.
I played with it some more and when going from rebooting the PCH it never boots directly into gbpvr, but it does wake my PC as it looks at the network. That said, all I have to do is hit the return on the PCH remote and the start script runs and it goes directly into gbpvr.

I checked my NIC and it does not have the "only allow management stations wake this PC" box checked. Perhaps it is just the PCH looking around that wakes it. I will note that the PC does not wake up much randomly, but I don't have a lot of PC to PC network traffic going on usually.
To finish this up I set the NIC to allow only management stations... and as expected, the PCH will not wake the PC. I have the MCE standby tool on the PC so I checked the logs and confirm that the server PC does not get awakened often when it is not set to the "allow only...". Surfing or network printing does not wake it up so in my case, it works the way I want it and the PCH will wake the PC from standby. YMMV.

You might give it a shot just to see if it will wake and if your network traffic wakes it up unnecessarily.
Sadly, mine was waking most of the time. It is difficult to work out how, what and why it wakes as it could be bios, windows, NIC or whatever that actually powers it up.
This is life..........
Yes, my system also wakes often without "allow only...", but that's a whole other issue, discussed often I think. I'll play with it more though. Where do get the MCE standby tool?

I'm more curious about "hit the return on the PCH remote and the start script runs and it goes directly into gbpvr". When I turn on the PCH, if the PC is on, it will go to the share screen (I think) with the four icons (music, video, pictures, files IIRC). From there I have to click over to files and click the index.html file to start gbpvr.

Are you saying your PCH skips this and runs index.html automatically?

Thanks for your info.
Pages: 1 2