NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Weather2 translations - german
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear scb147,

I quite like weather2, nice work and it works on the mvp now, too. Because of this, I am willing to work on a translation into german. I did start on it, however, on some of the composite text elements, I am not really getting very far.

For example, on the overview page, I don't get Current and Forecast translated. As you might see from this, I am not exactly an xml or skin expert. Furthermore, is all the complex text stuff parsed from accuweather? Or are you able to provide me with a list of the more complex descriptions.

Limitations: I am not going to have a go at the detail pages within the 5-day forecast (yet).
newyankee Wrote:For example, on the overview page, I don't get Current and Forecast translated.

I may be way off base here but if you are talking about the labels on the right of the display it maybe you are translating "Forecast" instead of "Forecast:" note the colon on the end?
Jaggy Wrote:I may be way off base here but if you are talking about the labels on the right of the display it maybe you are translating "Forecast" instead of "Forecast:" note the colon on the end?

Yes, I did. And unfortunately, it's not that. Furthermore, the text on the 5-day forecast pages is so complex that I doubt I will get all of them. I have counted more than 25 different descriptions so far. I'll keep trying, though.
newyankee---

First, I am sure I missed making some of the text translatable, and that could be some of your problem. I will go through and make sure all the text in the code is translatable for the next release, and I will post what all the text is.

Second, some of the text is hard-coded in the skin.xml file. A lot of the headers are done this way.

Third, the text on the forecast and forecast details pages are directly from Accuweather. There is no list in which they use, so I'm not sure how this can be translated easily.
My Forecastfox for Firefox, which uses accuweather as info source, shows up in portuguese, although when I click to open up accuweather's page, the details are in english. So... question is: is the text translated by forecastfox itself, or is it output by accuweather?
scb147 Wrote:Second, some of the text is hard-coded in the skin.xml file. A lot of the headers are done this way.

I don't think this is a problem when it comes to translating as there was discussion a while back about adding the "Rec'd:" word (that I use in my Blue-Retro-SHV skin) to the languages.
Sykor Wrote:My Forecastfox for Firefox, which uses accuweather as info source, shows up in portuguese, although when I click to open up accuweather's page, the details are in english. So... question is: is the text translated by forecastfox itself, or is it output by accuweather?
Forecastfox translates it. I'm not sure how they do it though.
scb147 Wrote:Forecastfox translates it. I'm not sure how they do it though.
I was going to point you to Babelzilla (after looking for an answer to that), but I see from BabelZilla's newest members list, that you already beat me to it. Wink

Anyway...
I noticed last night that _SOME_ of the text is translated... I got "Limpo" (Clean/Clear in portuguese) for the current forecast when I opened Weather2.

A while back I translated some/must of the sentences in the translation spreadsheet compiled by MixMan, which Weather1 used. Was that it? In the long run, the babelzilla route seems more worthwhile (if that route is available, of course...).

That reminds me that I really should that some time off to tweak my portuguese translation of gbpvr and share the result. :p
Sykor Wrote:I was going to point you to Babelzilla (after looking for an answer to that), but I see from BabelZilla's newest members list, that you already beat me to it. Wink

Anyway...
I noticed last night that _SOME_ of the text is translated... I got "Limpo" (Clean/Clear in portuguese) for the current forecast when I opened Weather2.

A while back I translated some/must of the sentences in the translation spreadsheet compiled by MixMan, which Weather1 used. Was that it? In the long run, the babelzilla route seems more worthwhile (if that route is available, of course...).

That reminds me that I really should that some time off to tweak my portuguese translation of gbpvr and share the result. :p

Yeah, I searched on Forecastfox translations, and it sent me to Babelzilla. It looks like I may be able to get translations for the text on the Current screen. But the detailed ones I don't think will be possible, as ForecastFox doesn't seem to translate those either.

I will get a list of translations here soon.
The current screen is relatively easy, most of the translations from "weather1" for the labels work and the weather descriptions are not that many. I haven't gotten to the winter stuff yet.

The 5-day-forecast screen is a lot more tricky. There are so many descriptions being used, I am adding to my list daily now and a have cought many, but not all. However, it's obvious that there is some logic behind it, but it's rather complex. I have only translated what's currently in the forecast, thus missing summer, and winter and spring as we are somewhere in between.

However, sometimes descriptions for sunshine/clouding, temperature and precipitations are combined using semicolons as separators. This allows for a multitude of combinations. If those descriptions could be separated somehow, that would make translating them much easier.

I can share my list anytime if requested, but that makes little sense, because it will be growing for probably another year or so:o
Pages: 1 2