NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Problems with MCE remote clone drivers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am running XP under Service Pack 3 with GBPVR. For almost a year, I have been happily using an MCE clone remote that I picked up at Jaycar. Suddenly, about a month ago, I started experiencing problems.

The problems are similar to what I read in this ancient thread, but the answers don't work for me:

http://www.techreplies.com/windows-media...-0a-21222/

Here is what happens:

- I have to use DEVCON to remove and rescan the USB device after awakening from standby. If I don't, the remote simply doesn't work at all until I do this, or unplug and reinsert the sensor. As I said, I've been happily doing this for about a year, but I suppose that solving this problem would solve the next one:

- Suddenly, after a year without complaint, the remote reported that it needed to search for a driver. When I allow it to do so, it seems to find the HIDclass driver, but then reports that it "can't complete" after attempting to copy the file. It always does this exactly three times; I can understand twice (once for keyboard mode and once for mouse mode), but why three times?

- One interesting thing is that the remote actually works perfectly well until I try to install the drivers, cancel the installation or go back into standby. After doing any of those things, it stops working.

- Backtracking to a system restore point solves the problem FOR AWHILE, but then it recurs. At first, a system restore was giving me about five days between problems; now, I am down to about a day. This is probably due to the loss of earlier restore points.

If anyone can suggest a solution that doesn't involve a system rebuild, I would be most appreciative.
I'm absolutely desperate for a solution to this. My system restores became progressively less and less of an option, as that gap between an available restore point and the failure of the remote grew smaller and smaller. I've just spend the last 16 hours...yes, 16 hours...reinstalling Windows and soothing it afterward, only to have the problem with the remote recur as I was tying up a last few loose ends.

Please help with whatever replies you can, even if it is to refer me to a more suitable discussion forum.
Here are some guesses...

Windows XP has a driver that automatically loads when you insert the USB device. (It's actually a Windows MCE driver, but that gets included after a few Windows Updates)

When you say that the problem goes away after a System Restore, it tells me that the Windows driver is being upgraded and the new driver doesn't like your hardware. Restoring to previous downgrades the driver.

If Windows Update is set to update automatically, it tells me that Windows is seeing a newer driver and wanting to upgrade.

I would suggest checking and setting Windows to 'ask you if it should update files automatically'

After a system restore, and when Windows Update finds the new driver, you can then select whether you will upgrade it again. If you uncheck it, it won't ask again, unless Microsoft releases yet another newer version of the driver.

It is my feeling though that the new driver should be working. My suggestions would be a workaround that I would not settle with personally.

But, you can at least try them and it might help you narrow down the problem. I would not bother reinstalling Windows for this type of issue.
what about going to device manager and select uninstall driver for the device
scan for device changes
but dont do auto install
if it does then go down and select reinstall driver from the devices properties
find the option when installing that lets you choose a driver
you should get a list
you could also try rollback driver but this rarely works unless you have updated the driver yourself
either that or download the driver and place it in a folder browse to there when it asks for a driver that way it should always look for it there
probably things you have already done
good luck
Thanks, Stu and Zehd, for your replies. You are very close to my way of thinking:

- I have Windows Update set to download, but not to actually update
- I have only installed "Security Updates"; however, I don't trust the sketchy descriptions to necessarily state which drivers are affected. I think that Microsoft is "sneaking it through" anyway.
- I have tried (and failed) to identify the correct .INF file during the times that my system is feeling OK. I think those times are gone, sadly, as the system restore points have finally caught up with me...not enough hard disk space for any others.

The Repair installation I performed did solve another longstanding problem, so while I could restore from backup, I am quite loathe to do so.

I have searched and searched and searched for an older version of the "USB Human Interface Driver", as I believe that installing this once (under a different name) will solve the problem. However, every place I have found it has turned out to be a bogus link. Can anyone help with that?
OK, I found an INF file from 2005...no luck. However, it occurs to me that this is only specifying original locations of drivers and their exact roles...it is possible that the SYS file, the DLL file, etc. have changed.

One thing that bothers me about the "Windows Update" theory is that the driver actually works until the first time the "Found New Hardware" wizard appears. It is only after I close that (gracefully or otherwise) that it stops working.

I'm about to go out and risk $50.00 on a Hauppage infrared MCE remote. It is packaged with its own XP drivers, so if it works, it has the advantage of escaping Microsoft's notice once installed.
I've just realised that I don't see how this could possibly be related to drivers. I've plugged my remote (both of them, actually) into another computer running XP, and both of them just...plain...worked. Automatic updates is set permanently "on" on this computer.

Any other ideas?
I thought I would note that, while I haven't exactly solved the problem, I have worked around it using a replacement driver discussed here

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ir-ser...ver-29024/

and found here

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Do...entDriver/

The replacement driver is considered obsolete, but it has the advantage of actually working on my PC, while all of the HID and eHome drivers have simply stopped.

I'm obviously very concerned about what this change in my system could imply--the original driver works well on my laptop, also running XP with all upgrades in place. However, I am also hopeful that this replacement driver will continue to serve.
keith_leitch Wrote:I've just realised that I don't see how this could possibly be related to drivers. I've plugged my remote (both of them, actually) into another computer running XP, and both of them just...plain...worked. Automatic updates is set permanently "on" on this computer.

Any other ideas?

They both 'worked' because by default, Windows has the drivers and will very quickly install and use them.
keith_leitch Wrote:I thought I would note that, while I haven't exactly solved the problem, I have worked around it using a replacement driver discussed here

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ir-ser...ver-29024/

and found here

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Do...entDriver/

The replacement driver is considered obsolete, but it has the advantage of actually working on my PC, while all of the HID and eHome drivers have simply stopped.

I'm obviously very concerned about what this change in my system could imply--the original driver works well on my laptop, also running XP with all upgrades in place. However, I am also hopeful that this replacement driver will continue to serve.

Don't be afraid of using the obsolete driver. They are a few registry hacks and dlls that circumvent Windows and the default eHome drivers.

In recent months, the group that put out the driver found a much easier way to circumvent the eHome drivers. But they rely on having the ehome driver installed and working correctly.

Using the replacement, you have the benefit of Windows Update not knowing how to upgrade it
Pages: 1 2