NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Need new HD hardware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently I have 2 MVP and a Hauppauge 150 & 250.
I have one HD TV in and would like to start to record over the air HD TV. Still use my Hauppauge to record my analog Cable.
So I know I need a new TV tunner and something to replace the MVP.
Popcorn A-100 seems pretty comon to replace the MVP. What about a Tunner? I only have PCI slots (not express) or USB.
Also can I set up GBPVR to record over the air HD on the HD tunner and the Analog for the Cable?
What format will the show be recorded in? Just how much drvie space will I need?
I use an HD-PVR from the cable STB so I can't speak to the PCI or USB tuners from experience but I believe a Hauppauge 1600 is a good HD tuner for PCI. Or there's the Dvico Fusion and also a Twinhan, both of which also work and are PCI. Or the HD Homerun for USB. I think the 1600 and the HDHomeun both can also receive clear QAM from cable if there is any available (depends on the cable co).

The PCH-100 is definitely the way to go for an MVP replacement. Hurry up & order one of the refurbs before they're sold out again.

To get both OTA and cable, I think it's easiest to set up two EPG feeds, one for only the OTA HD and one for the cable (you can probably keep the one you're using now). Link the HD EPG to the HD tuner and leave the cable EPG as is and you're all set. I think you can get four EPG feeds from Schedules Direct.

The file format for the analog stuff won't change but the format of the digital stuff depends on the mux you choose in config. It can be mpeg or dvr-ms (not recommended) or TS. I think TS seems to be preferred.

File sizes depend on the format...1080i is about four gig per hour, 720p is a bit less (using the TS mux). You'll probably need a bigger drive. Smile

At least that's my take on it. I'm sure others will weigh in.
I agree with everything zed noted. I have a 1800 (pcie) but the 1600 is basically the same card. Basically it is two cards in one. You can use the digital side of the card for OTA digital (HD and SD, whatever is available) and the analog side for your analog cable signal. There is also likely clear QAM on your cable, likely in HD and SD. Check the silicondust site to see what is available on your system. You can only choose QAM OR ATSC on the digital side of the card. You can't do both at the same time. If you go QAM, it is very possible that more than one major network is on the same base channel, and using multirecord, you can record both at the same time on the one digital tuner. really cool.
I have the Hauppauge HVR-1600 card and it works great. It will allow you to use both digital and analog tuners at the same time.

I'd definitely look into QAM since you have cable, usually it will allow you to get your local HD channels without the need of a big antenna. Plus with QAM you will likely have the multi-record feature soccerdad mentioned.

You'll want to record into .ts if you're planning on using a PCH. I believe it's the only format that's accepted by the PCH.
The NMT (PCH) works equally well with mpeg-ts and mpeg-ps with GBPVR. Other formats and containers work but you only access them with a GBPVR interface and play them using the NMT interface.

Martin