NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hauppauge DVB-S temporal noise filter issue ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys

About to buy a DVB-S card .... finally had enough my Hauppauge USB2 unit. Not being able to turn of the temporal noise filter is really, really, really beginning to annoy me.

Simple question really... do the Hauppauge DVB-S cards suffer from the same temporal noise filter problem that the PVR 150-250-USB2 units do ?

I know you can turn this off (or at least lessen it) via either the tweak tool, or christweak, or a registry hack... but you can't actually do it on the USB2 unit. To be blunt... it's a pile of crap because of this. Anyone who sees faces on the TV look like melting waxwork models when there is movement knows what I mean, that horrible and ugly smearing you get during movement. !!

So, am I going to have this problem with the Hauppauge DVB-S cards ?

Hope to get a few replies and see what the general concensus is.

Many thanks.
I thought DVB-T and DVB-S cards just receive data and dump it to the PCI bus unlike analogue ones where decisions have to made regarding D to A conversion.

WIth DVB-T/S you will be reliant on what the broadcaster decides to send (and some use a very low data rate!).
Ahh that's a good point, never looked at it that way. So the temporal noise filter is an A - D process. I think you coul be right.
Do you hav an ATI graphics card? If so, go into the control panel, go to Avivo settings and either reduce or disable "de-noise" or "edge enhancement" in "all settings".

Worked for me. Why they have it on by default beats me!

Daniel