NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 "High Speed" Recordings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Recently I've been having a problem whereby random shows record
in high speed. An hour long show records with fewer frames than expected, e.g. 23,374 frames & length 12:59:00 compared to a normal recording, e.g. 109,665 frames & length 1:01:00. This makes the show unplayable as all the action is played in high speed. All my recordings are in analog.

The problem started, maybe by coincidence, when I added a 2nd video capture card and upgraded to the latest WinTV 7 drivers (File name: WinTV7_CD_2.exe Date: 9/9/2009).

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

David
I have been setting up these cards with MythTV for a classroom recording system for about 6 months and after being in production for 2 weeks, this has happened to me. The recordings come from cameras hooked to the cards and I have had about 2 hours out of 40 come out like that. I am using Fedora Linux 10.
I noted today that my two WinTV devices had different drivers, one was dated 2009-05-28 and the other 2009-03-19. I upgraded the old one so both are now dated 2009-05-28. I use Windows XP SP3. Time will tell if the problem continues.
I am using Fedora Linux and MythTV with several boxes that have video cards. I found out today that the first recording after a boot of the box records at high speed. I have verified through logs that in every case of a high speed recording that this is true on 3 boxes with the Hauppauge card.
I do not have this particular problem, a reboot fixes the issue in my case.

That being said, I have not had the problem reoccur in the last 5 days ever
since I syncronized the drivers of the two capture cards. I've recorded lots
of extra shows through the night, but haven't triggered the problem again.

My fingers are crossed that the problem is gone for good.
It's not happening very often anymore, but I still get some instances of high-speed recording so a permanent solution is still required.
Don't know if this is any help, but:

I was having some problems with my 1600 when I was doing scheduled recordings. All of sudden, I would watch a recorded show and it was more like large parts of recordings were "missing". It would play fine for a minute, then suddenly skip ahead...sometimes five minutes at a time...all the way through a program.

I was clueless as to why, but it seemed to start after I had loaded a really old version Nero software (Ultra 6), which I was using for a specific project. So, I removed it and then I used their separate "General Cleanup" utility, which apparently also cleaned out some of their crappy, non-GBPVR compatible codecs (I only discovered this problem with Nero 6 after upgrading to Win 7. It seemed to work fine on my older GBPVR systems).

I also had a somewhat slower SATA drive in the box (not using it for recordings, but backups), so I disconnected that too.

Between those two actions, doing one or both seems to have fixed my problems. GBPVR is back to being as stable and reliable as ever.