NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Analog USB tuner - Pinnacle PCTV USB Pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble finding a supported analog usb tuner to buy in Portugal, hauppage over here is pretty much non-existant... Sad

I did find a Pinnacle PCTV USB Pro, which "looks like should be supported" since it encodes in MPEG 2, but it's not in the supported devices list.

Can anyone confirm that it works or that it doesn't, please?

Thanks to everyone,
Pedro.
What is the model number? Can you post a link to a page that shows the model number?
Hi

thanks for the quick reply.

This is the full descrption:
PLACA PINNACLE PCTV P/ TV ANALOGICA PRO USB - 230100054

Thanks again.
Pedro.
Analog TV devices need a hardware encoder to work with GBPVR. The device itself needs to output a MPEG video. I can't find anything to say that this device does have a hardware encoder.

Attached are the BDA.ini (digital TV) and direct.ini (analog TV) listing the latest known devices supported by GBPVR.

Hope this helps.
Yes, you have to read very carefully - beware that "encoded in mpeg" is quite often encoded via software. If there is a hardware encoded, it is usually mentioned directly as it is a bi selling point.
The details I found said "mpeg 1/2, Divx and mpeg-4" which makes me think it is done in software.
pgbpvr Wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble finding a supported analog usb tuner to buy in Portugal, hauppage over here is pretty much non-existant... Sad

[snip]

Thanks to everyone,
Pedro.

I had the same problem. I'm using a two Hauppauge tuners right now, a WinTV-PVR-USB2, and a PVR500, both bought from Ebay UK. In the end, that was the only way I managed to get a couple of tuners w/ hardware-encoder. 99,9% of the ones available in Portugal are software-encoder based.

If you're confortable with buying online (ebay or elsewhere), that's is probably your best chance. Postage costs within the EU are (usually) very acceptable.

BTW, I still haven't shared my portuguese translation (note to self: most stop being lazy and tie those loose ends), so if you want a (almost completely) properly translated GBPVR drop me a PM.
Hi!!

Thanks for the replies.

I gave up on that one.

Found a "Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MCE".

Can someone confirm it works with "normal" XP, besides XP MCE?

Thanks,
Pedro.
pgbpvr Wrote:Found a "Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MCE".

Can someone confirm it works with "normal" XP, besides XP MCE?

The "MCE" may mean that it does not have a remote. But, it will be the same device. It should work with GBPVR on XP.
Hi,
Thanks again for the help.
Just ordered the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MCE, don't really need a remote since I'll be using a Popcorn Hour to control gbpvr.
I discovered it in a Portuguese store, if anyone wants to know wich one you can PM me.
I'll be trying it out soon (I hope) and I expect to have some more questions further ahead when I configure the PCH.
Thanks again.
Pedro.