NextPVR Forums

Full Version: DVB-T2 MPEG4 in Denmark ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

By november 1th Denmark will shutdown all the analog tv signals.
The new digital channels will be delivered by 5 muxes. The first mux will transmit free MPEG2 channels for the coming 3 years and mux 2 will transmit free MPEG4 channels. 3 more muxes will transmit Boxer coded signals.

Right now i am using Hauppauge T-500 card to receive the current danish test MPEG2 channels and the swedish MPEG2 channels. This works fine.

My problem is that i want to be able to receive the coming MPEG4 channels as well. The family expect this service as they have been use to GBPVR for the last 2+ years.

I can not find any drivers to my Hauppauge T-500 card that can decode the MPEG4 channels that i understand is coded as DVB-T2.
On the other hand then my understanding is that the difference between MPEG2 and MPEG4 should be a "software-only" issue.

:confused: Can anyone help me to understand what i need and whether its available or if you should have information about a card that supports DVB-T2, then i would be very happy ? :confused:

Currently i am converting the received digital channel to MPEG2 using a Cyberlink BDA software mux because we can then use the MediaMVP.

Next question is:
:confused:? Do i need another BDA mux for MPEG4 signal ? :confused:
In the UK, we are expecting a mux to start broadcasting in DVB-T2 during the next month or so. The most recent news that I have is that there are no DVB-T2 devices available in the UK ... not even STBs for televisions.

My expectation is that when DVB-T2 computer bits are available, they will have BDA drivers and will work with GBPVR (and most other TV software). I expect that the MPEG 4 broadcasts will also be compatible with any one of several decoders that already work with GBPVR.

Some gossip ...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/...uch-2.html
ErikW Wrote:Hi all,

By november 1th Denmark will shutdown all the analog tv signals.
The new digital channels will be delivered by 5 muxes. The first mux will transmit free MPEG2 channels for the coming 3 years and mux 2 will transmit free MPEG4 channels. 3 more muxes will transmit Boxer coded signals.

Right now i am using Hauppauge T-500 card to receive the current danish test MPEG2 channels and the swedish MPEG2 channels. This works fine.

My problem is that i want to be able to receive the coming MPEG4 channels as well. The family expect this service as they have been use to GBPVR for the last 2+ years.

I can not find any drivers to my Hauppauge T-500 card that can decode the MPEG4 channels that i understand is coded as DVB-T2.
On the other hand then my understanding is that the difference between MPEG2 and MPEG4 should be a "software-only" issue.

:confused: Can anyone help me to understand what i need and whether its available or if you should have information about a card that supports DVB-T2, then i would be very happy ? :confused:
Are you sure its going to be DVB-T2? I'm pretty sure the UK is the only country that is intending to use DVB-T.

Lots of countries, including here in New Zealand, use DVB-T with MPEG4 (H.264) channels. I'm guessing Denmark will do the same, and your Nova-T 500 would be fine.

You'd need to find the Arcsoft or Cyberlink H.264 decoder to view these channels though. The Hauppauge WinTV v7 HD CDs included include the Arcsoft decoder.

Quote:Currently i am converting the received digital channel to MPEG2 using a Cyberlink BDA software mux because we can then use the MediaMVP.

Next question is:
:confused:? Do i need another BDA mux for MPEG4 signal ? :confused:
The 'TS Mux' is always used for H.264 channels, regardless of what mux you have selected. The bad news is you MediaMVP will not play H.264, so you'll need to think about your playback device.
UK will def be DVB-T2, as i understand. There isn't enough bandwidth for anything else.

Daniel
I have never heard of DVB-T2 in denmark - it's the codec (MPEG2 or MPEG4) that would be different in DK in the next years.

Current freeview DVB-T in Denmark is available in MPEG2 codec untill 2012.
After 2012 you will need a DVB-T tuner that supports MPEG4 (H.264 codec).

BoxerTV (and DR HD) would need a DVB-T tuner that supports MPEG4 (if your Nova-xyz supports MPEG4, just sit back and relax)

(Whooo - my first post here at GBPVR Cool - Stofa just announced UnEncypted DVB-C Smile weeeheee. My HTPC can't wait...)

Edit: type-error
michael9000 Wrote:Current freeview DVB-T in Denmark is available in MPEG2 codec untill 2012.
After 2012 you will need a DVB-T tuner that supports MPEG4 (H.264 codec).

Mpeg4 / h.264 are nothing to do with the transmitter coding dvb-t or dvb-t2
Providing your transmitters keep on dvb-t then your existing tuners will still work.
As sub said, it looks like that at the moment it is just the UK that is going to introduce dvb-t2 (AFAIK the standard has only just been ratified). Hopefully just on one mux that can be ignored. They are also mumbling about DRM on HD free-to-air broadcasts :mad:
Thanks to everyone.
I have investigated a little more and DVB-T2 will not happen in Denmark for some time.

So i will download the WinTV7 cd and extract the Arcsoft decoder and install it.

Then i need to find a replacement for my MVP. I have no idea what to use instead, but i guess that i can get some advice in the hardware forum.
ErikW Wrote:So i will download the WinTV7 cd and extract the Arcsoft decoder and install it.
They dont include the Arcsoft H.264 decoder in the download version. Its only included on the HD versions of CDs they ship with devices.
They also sell the HD version directly http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/wintv7hd/

Martin
As I live close to Denmark, Danish TV is a part of the channels we get.

I tried to record "DR K" last night and I got a .ts file but no sound. As far as I can see its DVB-T MPEG-4 (H.264) according to the info from my HDX1000.

My plan was to record/live-TV via GBPVR using my HDX1000, but as it is right now the only way I can watch the show is via network browser and not via GBPVR.

Would the installation of WinTV7 and Arcsoft decoder give me anything else than playing files on the PC? Would it give me recordings with sound?

If I can sort the sound issue I will retry playing the file from GBPVR and possibly post further questions regarding that in the NMT section.
Pages: 1 2