NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Zprocess & MVP: Can I watch DVD´s yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

I´ve been looking around in here & the wiki but couldn´t find a definite answer so thought I´d better ask in here: Can Zprocess allow the playing of DVD´s on the MVP yet? I did see somewhere that it was a planned feature.

If not, does anyone have an idea when this functionality will be available?

Thanks
Knobby Wrote:Hi folks,

I´ve been looking around in here & the wiki but couldn´t find a definite answer so thought I´d better ask in here: Can Zprocess allow the playing of DVD´s on the MVP yet? I did see somewhere that it was a planned feature.

If not, does anyone have an idea when this functionality will be available?

Thanks

Hi There. I have been toying with this feature for a while. I know that the lack of DVD support has been a huge issue for some regarding the MVP.

I'll be honest. The feature hasn't worked well, and the many workarounds I needed have been clumsy.

I haven't been doing much with ZProcess over the last few months. I have built a Ztranscode with the newer .net language, but it has implemented only the most basic of on-the-fly transcoding. The interface is still very rough around the edges and there is much more manual configuration, as opposed to some of the automated configuration that I worked with in the current release. That means it's actually harder to use...

And so I will say that I'm not really planning on going much further with ZProcess. With the PopcornHour and other more robust clients, which don't require much of a third-party 'assistance' to view certain file types, there seems to be less and less interest.

I'm sorry to say, but I don't think we're any further ahead in viewing DVDs on the MediaMVP
Thanks for the reply Frank.

It´s really a shame that you won´t be progressing with this. I´d have thought that there would be loads of people using MVP´s that would be very happy indeed if they could play DVD´s - me included as I won´t be changing over to another client anytime soon (I haven´t even got my MVP´s set up yet!).
Oh dear............... maybe I wasn´t very clear in the first place. I didn´t mean playing the actual disc; what I meant was playing the DVD files that I´ve ripped onto my hard drive. After reading this thread http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...dvd&page=1 I´m wondering if what I want to do is already possible.

Does this change the answer or am I still "flogging a dead horse"?
I use Imtoo DVD-ripper to rip/transcode a dvd to mpg. It will even put the desired sub in. Works quite well, takes a little time to configure and it takes some time ofcourse to transcode.
Knobby Wrote:Oh dear............... maybe I wasn´t very clear in the first place. I didn´t mean playing the actual disc; what I meant was playing the DVD files that I´ve ripped onto my hard drive. After reading this thread http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...dvd&page=1 I´m wondering if what I want to do is already possible.

Does this change the answer or am I still "flogging a dead horse"?

A Vob is actually a playable MPG. If you save your VOBs into a folder other than standard DVD structure, (NOT using VIDEO_TS) then the MVP can see the VOB files.

If I remember correctly, my problem was that the large MPGs still don't play quite right, mostly due to aspect ratio. ZProcess still tries a on-the-fly transcode to down scale the dimensions and apsect ratio to suit.

This is all from memory. I can't remember how far that part came along. If I remember right, that feature worked better using the Beta release.

I'll have a closer look and see if that will work with either version.

I'm unlikely to make any adjustments though. They're written in VB6 and I'm not inclined to reinstall VB6 again...