NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Time for new processor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've tried to build a PVR with my old 800mhz Duron processor, however I've found my live TV doesn't play very well. So, I guess I need to know what I should buy -
I'm currently running a PVR-250 with an old ATI All-In-Wonder AGP card for video out. I will someday add a second tuner - likely a PVR-150. And I want my video to look great.

What AMD processor should I get (keeping in mind I work for a living).
Thanks.
You could get an Athlon XP, whtever speed you can afford (check newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com). I upgraded my son's 1.2 duron processor with a 2200+ Athlon XP, and it worked out well. It plugs into the same socket (socket A). The only thing I had to change on the system was a jumper on the motherboard to change the clock speed from 100 to 133. I would get one with the fan and heat sink included.
Yes, I won't have any problem upgrading - I'm using an Abit Nf7-s v.2 mtoherboard for my pvr - so that won't be an issue. I guess I'm wondering about processor speed. I know I'll need a faster processor when I get my second tuner, so why not upgrade the CPU now, I guess. I'm thinking an Athlon 2500 or 2700, but I'm on the fence.
Better get those Athlon XPs while you can (especially ones with Barton cores; they don't make them anymore). AMD stopped production on those CPUs at the beginning of this year in order to force Socket A users to adopt Semprons (Semprons are Thunderbirds with a higher FSB) and to avoid confusing consumers between the Athlon XP and Athlon 64 lines.

So whatever Athlon XP stock is at retailers are all there is. Once those are gone, they're gone and your only option for Socket A will be a Sempron.