NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP Features when used with GB-PVR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I may have missed this somewhere, but I haven't seen a description of what MediaMVP actually gives you when used with GB-PVR, for example:

Is the menu system a clone of the current GB-PVR skin?

Does the OSD operate, and how does the OSD quality compare to say a PVR-350?

Are any / all of the plugins available?

Any insight appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt.
Is the menu system a clone of the current GB-PVR skin?

Yes - It's the same menu
Where possible, what runs in GB-PVR will run on a MediaMVP. Best bet to look through the MVP section of the forum to learn more about it and GBPVR.

Only those with a 350 and a MediaMVP can comment on the quality of the OSD, but those of us with MVP's are very happy with them.

Cheers,
Colin.
Thanks Colin - The 350 OSD has some kind of alpha transparency, meaning you can see the TV picture through parts of the OSD where appropriate - it's semitransparent rather than all-or-nothing IYSWIM, and the OSD fades-in and fades-out which is rather nice.

I have a 350, but like just about everyone else who has one, I'm less than satisfied with it's reliability. I typically have to pull the power plug on my PC several times a day. (It locks up so hard the power switch doesn't respond).

I'm looking for alternatives, and whilst the XCard gets rave reviews for it's video quality, and reliability, the OSD buffer is only 256 colour which is disappointing.

Based on what I've read here so far, it sounds like the MVP is the ideal alternative, live TV time-shifting notwithstanding...
OSD is there on the MVP, not as much stuff on it as on the PC, i.e. no mouse buttons for FF, RW, Pause, etc, because you don't need them, but when you're in a recorded show and hit pause, or the blue button, the OSD shows the filename and timeline. You can get a miniguide on the screen when you're watching live TV.

I've been a BeyondTV user for over a year now, and just bought an MVP last Christmas, and started with GBPVR to investigate its MVP support compared to the BeyondTV project. If, like I was, you're comparing MVP support in GBPVR to Beyond-TV, remember that the Beyond TV support is a project (like GBPVR) not an official Snapstream feature. They don't have an OSD on the MVP at all, and have even stated that they can't make one. Also, the GBPVR FF and RW is much smoother than the BeyondTV MVP project, and GBPVR seems to have less lag in responding to the remote. I do like the BeyondTV support for resuming a video file from where you stopped, or for navigating quickly to 30, 40, 50, whatever % through the file with the number buttons. Those items are missing from GBPVR, but have been put on the wishlist forum, and I would be surprised if they weren't addressed soon.

More comparison: the BeyondTV MVP interface does not let you schedule recordings, yet, although the PC interface lets you schedule not just timeslot, but new (first-run) shows, i.e. will not auto-record repeats. Also, clumsy as Live TV is on the MVP with GBPVR, it's light-years ahead of the BeyondTV version. In all fairness, they haven't been at it as long as these guys here, and I think the BeyondTV interface is more stable, meaning it doesn't drop the PC connection (looking for GUI server) in the middle of your movie. (That's the main reason I feel GBPVR needs a fast way of getting through a recorded show. [Image: biggrin.gif] )
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] ]I do like the BeyondTV support for resuming a video file from where you stopped, or for navigating quickly to 30, 40, 50, whatever % through the file with the number buttons. Those items are missing from GBPVR, but have been put on the wishlist forum, and I would be surprised if they weren't addressed soon
you can resume a file from where you left it already (just check a "prompt for resume" in the config application), and you can press number + skip to skin n minutes, eg 20+skip = skip 20mins.
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] (reven @ Feb. 10 2005,11:48)]
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] ]I do like the BeyondTV support for resuming a video file from where you stopped, or for navigating quickly to 30, 40, 50, whatever % through the file with the number buttons. Those items are missing from GBPVR, but have been put on the wishlist forum, and I would be surprised if they weren't addressed soon
you can resume a file from where you left it already (just check a "prompt for resume" in the config application), and you can press number + skip to skin n minutes, eg 20+skip = skip 20mins.
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] ]you can resume a file from where you left it already (just check a "prompt for resume" in the config application), and you can press number + skip to skin n minutes, eg 20+skip = skip 20mins.

Useful!  I've asked about this before and didn't get this info.