NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New Wiki pages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Dear all,

there's a few of us working out some updated and new Wiki pages. Due to the way the Wiki works there are some limitations, but I don't mean this in a bad way, just the way it works.

For instance if I was going to upload a helpful Wiki page about setting up a DVB-S source after initial installation of GBPVR where may I put that on the Wiki so that Newbie could find easily?

For me I'd go 'Manual' then prob 'Quick Start'. But quick start page as it is does't work through my thought process currently if I was pretending to be a Newbie.

Where would you look after install of GBPVR for 1st time on how to set up, for instance, a DVB-S source?

Cheers

Steeb
i'm working on a few of the remote pages...
http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manual/RemoteControl
cuz that stuff was wayyy old...and confusing..
i'm trying to use a newbies plus advanced logic to finding stuff..
arranging more by function, then making sure a path is there for newbies...
like there are several remote pages, and a couple of hip ones, and then more about blasting..
i'll make it by function, people only need one remote and possibly a blaster,so i start with all remote types and ways to use them, then user selects a hardware and goes down that path..
then selecting whether to use native or 3rd party support, then links to pages for help on each..
most users are stuck with hardware already, so should be good to start there...

structure i'm going for:
Remotes [general description and capabilities]
[INDENT]Native support.[haup./MCE][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Blasting using native support[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]3rd party software [desc. n benefits][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]HIP guide or eventghost guide[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]blasting using hip or evenghost[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
anyways, should be less pages and more comprehensive..Smile
i'll pretty much be sticking to remote stuff tho so don't mind me...Big Grin
Quote:i'll pretty much be sticking to remote stuff tho so don't mind me...

Thanks pBS,

not minding you at all! We're all in it together Big Grin

BTW I know that the stuff for configuring IR Server Suite is out of date for later releases of it, been meaning to update it but got sidetracked by other stuff Wink

Cheers

Steeb
I see McBain's online, would like your opinion on this, think you've been busy on the Wiki recently Wink

Actually what it is is Systemshark's DVB-T set up guide, been umming and arrring where to put it. Quick Start? Manual??

I think the manual layout is a little messy?

Cheers

Steeb
I was thinking of a "WalkThroughs" section under "Manual Contents".
btw, wiki glossary looks great Big Grin
I have been thinking about simplifying the EPG page to remove discontinued links and tighten up the North America section (since that is all I know).

Since I had moved on from my previous setup, I thought it was a little cluttered going through as a "newb" setting up another source.

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manual/EPG

I am going to be replacing my aging HTPC computer in about 2 weeks, so I am going to go thru setting up the new system as a newbie using the wiki as an experiment.

It will be full blown windows 7, remotes, ect. replacing a XP\Win7 RC dual boot system.
new HIP version is out...[i hadn't noticed] dec 2009..
he included updated pvrx2 setup files and added haup45 button remote.
oh and he fixed MCE remote key delay rates not working...
[now it should be fast as lightning scrolling]

i am making a new hip quick-setup guide to replace old one.
with links to advanced stuff like customizing keys, multi-blasting, etc...
http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tips/QuickHipGuide
much easier now that preset files are included with hip..Big Grin

and a new MCE no software page
http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manual/MCE-nosoft
Quote:I was thinking of a "WalkThroughs" section under "Manual Contents".

So new heading under Manual Contents left side nav?

So if I committed to this what apart from DVB set up's would be good? Put EPG in there as well?

Cheers

Steeb
i would think yes, cuz if it's dvb-s then it'd have to be a xmltv source pretty much..
dvb-t is another story tho..
Pages: 1 2 3 4