NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Sleep problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Should there be anything Slimm GB-PVR related to stop a system from going into sleep mode? I've recently started having problems and some detective work shows two things as a possible culpit.........USB related and SlimmGBPVR. I've made no changes to my system but it was shortly after installing Slimm that I had this problem. I've not yet uninstalled to test for sure (but will) and wanted to know if anyone has had problems with using Slimm and putting the system to sleep. It was working perfectly for a very long time.
pcostanza Wrote:Should there be anything Slimm GB-PVR related to stop a system from going into sleep mode? I've recently started having problems and some detective work shows two things as a possible culpit.........USB related and SlimmGBPVR. I've made no changes to my system but it was shortly after installing Slimm that I had this problem. I've not yet uninstalled to test for sure (but will) and wanted to know if anyone has had problems with using Slimm and putting the system to sleep. It was working perfectly for a very long time.

Slimm does set a Windows flag to stop the system going into sleep during a recording. When the recording finishes, the flag is reset. However, very occasionally, I have had the situation where Windows wouldn't sleep even though the flag had been reset. I do not know why this occurs. The way I put the machine to sleep was to reload Slimm GBPVR. It can be found in Start->All Programs->GBPVR and, probably, in the Start->All Programs->Startup menu. (You don't have to quit the old one first.) Then put the machine to sleep.
installed java lately? that screws my standby
Mister Slimm Wrote:Slimm does set a Windows flag to stop the system going into sleep during a recording. When the recording finishes, the flag is reset. However, very occasionally, I have had the situation where Windows wouldn't sleep even though the flag had been reset. I do not know why this occurs. The way I put the machine to sleep was to reload Slimm GBPVR. It can be found in Start->All Programs->GBPVR and, probably, in the Start->All Programs->Startup menu. (You don't have to quit the old one first.) Then put the machine to sleep.
I'll give that a try. It seems that once the system is rebooted, things work fine but after that, no go. It's not 100% of the time but the great majority.
stustunz Wrote:installed java lately? that screws my standby
Yes, I kept getting that nag to install and always checked the later button but I did finally install that recently. That nag is worse than my.........I better not say that! :eek:
turn off autoupdate in java and test
also turn off java quick start
let me know if it works then i might put java back on

So here is how you can easily disable JQS.exe :

* Goto the Control Panel (Start > Control Panel).
* Double click the Java icon to open the Java Control Panel.
* Now click on the Advanced option
* Goto Miscellaneous and you will find that Java Quick Start has been enabled.
* Uncheck the box to disable the JQS.exe process.
Mister Slimm's suggestion worked perfectly.
Thanks
Mister Slimm Wrote:Slimm does set a Windows flag to stop the system going into sleep during a recording. When the recording finishes, the flag is reset. However, very occasionally, I have had the situation where Windows wouldn't sleep even though the flag had been reset. I do not know why this occurs. The way I put the machine to sleep was to reload Slimm GBPVR. It can be found in Start->All Programs->GBPVR and, probably, in the Start->All Programs->Startup menu. (You don't have to quit the old one first.) Then put the machine to sleep.

That's it! It was bugging me not knowing why my computer wasn't sleeping! Big Grin

Is there any chance that the setting of the flag could be made optional? It more often than not stays on for me, and I find the act of recording is enough to keep the PC awake.
bluesxman Wrote:Is there any chance that the setting of the flag could be made optional?
I have added it to the To Do list but Slimm GBPVR is not under active development.

bluesxman Wrote:I find the act of recording is enough to keep the PC awake.
You might want to test that. Exit Slimm GBPVR, start GBPVR recording (not just timeshifting) and hit the Sleep button on your Start menu.