NextPVR Forums

Full Version: 2 tuners one dish?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just purchased a Hauppauge HVR-4000 PCI card - will install h/w and gbpvr tonight. Being a single tuner and wanting to record from more than one transponder, I'd like to also install a WinTV-NOVA-S-USB2 for the second transponder. But then I'd have 2 tuners and only one dish - how do I connect both tuners to the one dish - a splitter box?
In NZ yeah you can use a spliter get one that doesn't block the power on one leg
Im not familiar with the NZ sats, but over here you could do that, but you would be restricted to the same polarity transponders (L or R for circ, H or V for linear). The receiver that powers the LNB also controls the selected polarity, and the other 'slave' receiver will only get the matching set.
Perhaps your LNBs band-stack both polarities onto the same cable without having to control it ?
BTW, if you cant find a splitter (combiner, same thing.. just make sure its sat rated (Ghz)).. with one leg dc-blocked.. you can always just add a dc blocking fitting on that line (screw on coax stub).
Yeah, all of the NZ transponders (pay & free to air) run on Horizontal polarity now, so you would be fine - as long as the splitter doesn't make a marginal sat signal go to unusable (in which case you could get an inline booster)
JonnyCam Wrote:Yeah, all of the NZ transponders (pay & free to air) run on Horizontal polarity now, so you would be fine - as long as the splitter doesn't make a marginal sat signal go to unusable (in which case you could get an inline booster)
On the other hand, if you also want to watch the Aussie SBS channels on Optus D1, you will also need to tune to the vertical transponder.

With something like THIS, you'll be good to go for both & record from F/View while watching SBS.
They seem a bit pricey compared to what I got a quad lnb for from fleabay.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/quadlnb
Welcome to the new zealand market.
Most things are bit more pricey, smaller market, further away.

You could always export these for us.. Big Grin
JonnyCam Wrote:Welcome to the new zealand market.

It would be the post and customs duties that zaps the price upwards.

If I ever get my tramp ship cruise sorted out I'll fill a container up with goodies. Cool
JonnyCam Wrote:Welcome to the new zealand market.

Yup, and that's the sale price. Usual price is $75! Prices for DVB cards are similarly steep here. Sigh...
Just to confirm - I'm about to install a second dvb-s card too (HVR-3000), and am in NZ, so shouldn't need to worry about vertical channels unless Aussie channels start regularly broadcasting on D1. I take it from this thread that I can either use a splitter such as this at the card end to supply an output to each (could only find a dc-blocked one at jaycar), or else install the aforementioned dual lnb and run an additional co-ax line back from it to the second card.

Is that about the sum of it? I understand that the dual-lnb option may be technically better, but at the moment am inclined not to pay the associated extra $50, let alone play around with the dish attached to a relatively unreachable second-story wall, and drill yet another hole through said wall into the house Smile
Pages: 1 2