NextPVR Forums

Full Version: HDMI support broken in newer ATI drivers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I recently upgraded to an ATI HD 4670 with a fanless cooler on it for my Win XP GBPVR box. At the same time, I decided to grab the latest drivers with the CCC bundle (10.1).

After installation I found that all the controls to adjust the geometry of the image on my TV, including over-scan were missing. I had to go back to driver version 9.11 or earlier to get them back. Having done a bit of a search, it seems others have seen this too.

Basically, the settings for the monitor/TV attached via HDMI are missing in newer drivers. Unfortunately, the older drivers that do have the settings seem to be buggy with the 4670. This effectively breaks this card for any kind of HTPC role. Very sucky indeed. I will have to go back to my 2600 Pro, with it's noisy fan.

Anyone else come across this?
siliconaudio Wrote:I recently upgraded to an ATI HD 4670 with a fanless cooler on it for my Win XP GBPVR box. At the same time, I decided to grab the latest drivers with the CCC bundle (10.1).

After installation I found that all the controls to adjust the geometry of the image on my TV, including over-scan were missing. I had to go back to driver version 9.11 or earlier to get them back. Having done a bit of a search, it seems others have seen this too.

Basically, the settings for the monitor/TV attached via HDMI are missing in newer drivers. Unfortunately, the older drivers that do have the settings seem to be buggy with the 4670. This effectively breaks this card for any kind of HTPC role. Very sucky indeed. I will have to go back to my 2600 Pro, with it's noisy fan.

Anyone else come across this?

CCC->Graphics->Desktops & Displays->[right click on small Monitor at bottom row]-> Configure->Scaling Options

Then move the slide right-most to "Overscan".
i'd try 9.10 as i seem to remember it worked better on my 4650...
as always, YMMV...

i hadn't noticed myself, but my tv doesn't require any adjustments beyond the normal scaling for my 720p tv...[they moved where the size controls are.it's weird how to get to them.]

but i would check again, i hate the new interface, and took me days to find the sizing controls..
[right click on the monitor itself and i think it's called 'configure'?]

i wonder if they can screw up the interface any more? lol
it's already hundreds of megs, buggy, and now you can't find anything..
and all it does it set registry entries...:p geeez
you cut and pasted that i bet....[did you leave breadcrumbs on your way in?] Big Grin

iwas hoping they wouldn't put that stupid 'installer' in xp but they did...Sad
pBS Wrote:you cut and pasted that i bet....[did you leave breadcrumbs on your way in?] Big Grin

iwas hoping they wouldn't put that stupid 'installer' in xp but they did...Sad

Not all of it. I added the "small". Big Grin

I'm starting to just adjust the registry myself.
My friend has 2 2600xt's and the 10.1 drivers would not run on them. I discovered that the 10.1 included 2 drivers for the 2600 one would work and the other wouldn't. He has a vizio tv hdmi and older versions of catalyst would allow screen stretching. But the new drivers set the refresh rate to 59 instead of 60 so no stretching was needed, but I did not see this option either.

With the new drivers games would also look funny full screen, we ended up loading old drivers back up.
yea, i've always checked the .inf files and can see what's what in there..
but i mostly just use registry to double check things..

i always disable the ccc.exe and mom.exe startups as they are of no use, and the atievxx.exe serrvices too...[a service for hotkeys!]
you still have quick access to ccc, just right click desktop and select there, which starts the ccc and mom automatically...

oh, and make sure to uninstall everything ati when upgrading drivers or some stuff won't work..
whurlston Wrote:CCC->Graphics->Desktops & Displays->[right click on small Monitor at bottom row]-> Configure->Scaling Options

Then move the slide right-most to "Overscan".

You haven't actually tried this, have you? It is impossible to follow your steps in the current version drivers. Quoting something you might have read on the net from an older version driver isn't going to help here.

All the newer version drivers have completely broken HDMI adjustments. I think it's time to ditch the Radeon and go nVidia.:mad:
siliconaudio Wrote:You haven't actually tried this, have you? It is impossible to follow your steps in the current version drivers. Quoting something you might have read on the net from an older version driver isn't going to help here.

All the newer version drivers have completely broken HDMI adjustments. I think it's time to ditch the Radeon and go nVidia.:mad:

Yes, I actually have tried it. Most recently with Catalyst 10.1 (which was used to make the attached screenshot), but I didn't have CCC on the machine that I used to respond at the time. And the quote was from someone who was running the 9.12 Hotfix at the time.
luttrell1962 Wrote:But the new drivers set the refresh rate to 59 instead of 60 so no stretching was needed, but I did not see this option either.

If 59 Hz isn't showing up, you can add it by clicking on the "HDTV Support" tab (you can get to it via the same instructions). I'm pretty sure it's still there with the 2600 as well as the 4xxx/5xxx series.
Pages: 1 2 3