NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Tips for new Hauppauge HD-PVR user
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since some of you seem to be able to get the HDPVR running, can you offer any suggestions? TME records nicely but GBPVR recordings rarely are more than 0 byes but I have had 1 or 2 (out of 100's) that were about 5MB and playable.

They also alternate between mpg and ts filenames

Another problem is that device seems to report but a lot of zero values

ie
Device reports scale size: 0x0 (source format:0)

Occasionally when I get a short file I do get

Device reports resolution: 720x480 (fps:30)

About the only thing that works nicely is the xml import and channel.exe firewire tuning.

Martin
Quote:They also alternate between mpg and ts filenames
Are you finding this with recordings, or is it live tv?

Quote:Since some of you seem to be able to get the HDPVR running, can you offer any suggestions? TME records nicely but GBPVR recordings rarely are more than 0 byes but I have had 1 or 2 (out of 100's) that were about 5MB and playable.
I've got a busy morning planned (with getting the pre-release out), but I'm happy to help you work through it after that.
Recordings. Live TV immediately exits to the main menu.

Sure anything you can do to help would be appreciated. I was hoping to capture some Olympics in HD Using TME to record will do until for now.

Martin
I dunno...I have one of the early models, I think it was one of the very first batch, and it has worked flawlessly. It took about 15 mins to install and worked right off the bat. I think I've upgraded the drivers once. I feed it over component from a Scientific Atlanta STB set to always output 1080i. I use HIP to a MS blaster to to channel change. I don't think it's ever missed a recording.
sub, did you have a chance to look at the timeshifting problem? (mpg / ts filename error, and timeshift graph playing the older file again upon channel change)
Note yet, but I intend to for the next release.
sounds good Smile thanks
I had a lot of troubles with mine at first too, but I think when I stopped using it's IR blaster is what resolved most of my problems. It sounds like you are already avoiding that issue by using the firewire channel changer.

As I recall, I did not think GBPVR was actually recording for me at first because the files were always 0 length until the recording finished and I could never view the files GBPVR locally because of codec issues. I finally realized I could view these through my popcorn hour though.

I have my STB set to always output everything at 720P and I am just recording off the stereo RCA plugs right now. I want to try using the optical audio, but it has been so stable for the last 2 months that I just don't want to mess with it right now. I recall reading that if you have your STB vary is output based on the channel, it may cause the device to have problems.
I tried on the PCH and they are zero byte on closure too. Post Valentine's Day I'll steal the SA 8300 HD box to see if the problem with GBPVR is 480i.

Just with the brief use I've had with TME though, I think if Hauppauge are smart and make the hardware a little more resilient and with full GBPVR support this is better than CableCard and it probably is the best solution in North America. I paid $160 for the HDPVR and a vanilla STB costs ~$150 when they are on sale so the cost isn't outrageous.

Martin