NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Looking at creating a GBPVR Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have a few questions folks on the Hardware front :-

I have an existing MB and disk combination that I will install in a new case, MB is Intel 946 based with an Intel E2180 Dual core 2Ghz processor with 2GB of RAM. The disks are a Samsung and WDC 250GB SATA 3.0Gbps.

I am looking at using a GeForce210 based Graphics card (Palit) and KWorld DVB-T PC160-2T.

Having downloaded the KWorld driver it looks like it is a BDA Driver (looking at the Notes.ini file in the zip file the driver name is KWorld USB DVB-T BDA Driver).

OS can be either Vista Business or Windows 7 Business.

Am I looking at a good combination here ? It is to replace our failing Humax 9200 PVR and so series link, reliability and ease of use for the SWIMBO are my main requirements.

Thanks in advance, regards.
Paul
GBPVR is not hugely hardware hungry. DVB-T broadcasts are in Mpeg format so GBPVR is simply copying the broadcast stream to disk at about 1 Gigabyte per hour. Mpeg playback is hardware accelerated in the graphics card if you have the right combination of card and decoder and almost all combinations will accelerate.

I have been able to record fifteen shows simultaneously from UK DVB-T while playing back one show using a 1.8 Ghz Sempron and a Geforce 7100 GS.
Thanks Graham.
Graham Wrote:GBPVR is simply copying the broadcast stream to disk.

I mis-spoke.

I should have said that GBPVR is using some rock solid code to tune to channels on cable and satellite and terrestrial in countless different countries using DVB and ATSC with a variety of video encoding mechanisms while supporting the whims and fancies of umpteen different tuner suppliers and non-standard support for disecq and CI and Lawd knows what else and then reliably for day after day after day simply copying the broadcast stream to disk.
[Image: 10.gif]

You sir, have a way with words. (But you are absolutely correct.)
Graham Wrote:I mis-spoke.

I should have said that GBPVR is using some rock solid code to tune to channels on cable and satellite and terrestrial in countless different countries using DVB and ATSC with a variety of video encoding mechanisms while supporting the whims and fancies of umpteen different tuner suppliers and non-standard support for disecq and CI and Lawd knows what else and then reliably for day after day after day simply copying the broadcast stream to disk.

You forgot to also mention that it's also dealing with various versions and permutations of Windows, with different levels of service packs, hotfixes, etc. and who knows how many various combinations and versions of video hardware/drivers, codecs, muxes, etc. that are out there. It's amazing that it works at all, let alone as great as it does! :eek:
Gti Jazz Blue Wrote:It is to replace our failing Humax 9200 PVR and so series link, reliability and ease of use for the SWIMBO are my main requirements.
WAF is great - Mrs ACTCMS can record whatever she wants and watch it whenever she likes... and she can listen to music, look at family photos, watch the home videos, and lots of other things... my eldest grandson (8 years old) doesn't have any problems using it either...

Alex
Gti Jazz Blue Wrote:Am I looking at a good combination here ? It is to replace our failing Humax 9200 PVR and so series link, reliability and ease of use for the SWIMBO are my main requirements.

Thanks in advance, regards.
Paul

The humux issue wouldn't be it taking a long time to respond to the remote? if so I believe there is a beta update to help with this problem see here.