NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVPMC playing flac files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've managed to get flac files playing in the GBPVR emulation in MVPMC. The problem is that it is not gapless so I am trying to get the files to play in mPlayer using a Squeezebox server.

I can get the files to play on another PC using SoftSqueeze and can play mp3s in mPlayer in MVPMC but whenever I try to play flac files (created in EAC with the flac encoder that came with EAC) in mPLayer it just says "Cannot play file".

Are these files supported in the mPlayer that ships with MVPMC and if so any ideas why they refuse to play?

Thanks,

Steve
The mclient module emulates an old slimserver client that doesn't support FLAC or gapless play.

Martin
Ah, does that explain why I heard so little (actually no) difference playing mp3, .ogg and .flac files of the same track directly from MVP file browser?
mvallevand Wrote:The mclient module emulates an old slimserver client that doesn't support FLAC or gapless play.

Martin

Thanks Martin for the very quick response!

So, I guess you're saying that even if I used wav files for each track rather than flac files that the mclient still wouldn't be able to play the music gapless? In which case, if I got EAC to create one big wav file for the album would it be gapless then? Not ideal I know but I'll try anything to get rid of those annoying gaps.

Thanks,

Steve
pz1 Wrote:Ah, does that explain why I heard so little (actually no) difference playing mp3, .ogg and .flac files of the same track directly from MVP file browser?

No it doesn't. mclient is the slimserver/squeezecentre client. The native file browser interface outputs bit-perfect (ie exact CD) PCM audio through digital port from FLAC and wav files. Vorbis uses the reference Tremor library and mp3 playback is hardware based so like all lossy formats it comes down to personal preference. From the analog ports the DAC in the MVP comes into play too.

@borgs5 I don't remember if the mclient supports wav

Martin
Thanks Martin.

These are my findings (note. these findings may be related to my setup and other people may get different results):

mClient 2.2 can't play flacs or wavs.
FileSystem can play flacs and wavs.
GB-PVR can play flacs but not wavs (don't know if it was trying to convert to flacs with my setup).

The only way I could get gapless playback is by getting EAC to create one big flac or wav file.

mClient 2.2 played the big flac file fine but crashed during playback of the big wav (might be my system)

GB-PVR can also play the big flac file fine.

So for me, I intend to rip all my CDs to individual flac files and, for those albums that need gapless play, also rip to one big flac file.

Cheers,

Steve