NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Dish Network users with 322 receiver?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I have the infamous Dish 322 in which I am trying to use both tuners. Anyone who has one of these knows that the second tuner can only be controlled by a UHF remote. Dish Network has recently put out a kit that goes inline and allows control via infrared. I recently purchased one of these pricey things but have been unable to get it to do anything. Link to kit is here: http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental...rter.shtml Has anyone else sprung for one of these and what has been your experience?
collin Wrote:Hi all,

I have the infamous Dish 322 in which I am trying to use both tuners. Anyone who has one of these knows that the second tuner can only be controlled by a UHF remote. Dish Network has recently put out a kit that goes inline and allows control via infrared. I recently purchased one of these pricey things but have been unable to get it to do anything. Link to kit is here: http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental...rter.shtml Has anyone else sprung for one of these and what has been your experience?
I was planning to buy one with my tax refund whenever I get it. It has a couple of different ways to connect it, and I understand you probably need to change the ID on the remote for TV1 to something other than one. Check out the post at http://www.satelliteguys.us/1854462-post1.html and/or the thread at http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=45777 which has some more links. Also, I was never able to get my remote for tv2 to output ir. If you are trying to use the Dish provided tv2 remote, it will continue to send via UHF and if you don't have the UHF antenna in the setup, it won't do anything. You will need to get a universal remote or something that will produce Dish IR codes.
Hi, thanks for the links, I had come across those when I was hunting down info on this IR converter.

I was actually attempting to use the second tuner with my new HVR-2250. I spent an hour on the phone with Dish this morning and they could not get either a Dish UHF/IR combo dish remote or just a Dish IR remote to control the second tuner when I connected the converter to my bedroom tv. I'm returning the IR converter kit and am looking at just getting two Dish 311 tuners off ebay cheap(same price or less than the converter kit). It will be less hassle and since Dish has just changed their pricing strategy it will cost me the same. If you hadn't heard, they are no longer charging for not having a phone line connected but are charging for each tuner. Before, I was not charged for additional tuners, only number of receivers, and since I had a 322 it counted as one receiver. As it is now I am charged for the TV2 tuner, but not for not having a phone line, so it's a wash.

If you decide to give the IR converter a try be prepared to deal with Dish tech support who have no clue on this strange device.
collin Wrote:Hi, thanks for the links, I had come across those when I was hunting down info on this IR converter.

I was actually attempting to use the second tuner with my new HVR-2250. I spent an hour on the phone with Dish this morning and they could not get either a Dish UHF/IR combo dish remote or just a Dish IR remote to control the second tuner when I connected the converter to my bedroom tv. I'm returning the IR converter kit and am looking at just getting two Dish 311 tuners off ebay cheap(same price or less than the converter kit). It will be less hassle and since Dish has just changed their pricing strategy it will cost me the same. If you hadn't heard, they are no longer charging for not having a phone line connected but are charging for each tuner. Before, I was not charged for additional tuners, only number of receivers, and since I had a 322 it counted as one receiver. As it is now I am charged for the TV2 tuner, but not for not having a phone line, so it's a wash.

If you decide to give the IR converter a try be prepared to deal with Dish tech support who have no clue on this strange device.
No big surprise that support doesn't know much about this device. All the company needed to do was alter the firmware to enable the ir receiver on the front panel of the 322 and no one would have needed that kluge.
My guess is that if there was nothing wrong with the coversion kit, and you had it wired correctly, you should have been able to take the tv1 remote into the room where you had the kit installed and it should have just worked. If not, then returning the unit for replacement or refund is the correct thing to do since it was probably DOA. From what you describe, it seems your connection would have been to use the splitter/combiner in the kit to "splice"/combine the UHF remote antenna input of the 322 into the RF signal output of tv2 from the 322. Then put the other black box from the kit in the other room in line with the tv input and plug in the power supply in. If that setup doesn't work with the remote from tv1, something in the kit must be faulty.
markbb1 Wrote:No big surprise that support doesn't know much about this device. All the company needed to do was alter the firmware to enable the ir receiver on the front panel of the 322 and no one would have needed that kluge.
My guess is that if there was nothing wrong with the coversion kit, and you had it wired correctly, you should have been able to take the tv1 remote into the room where you had the kit installed and it should have just worked. If not, then returning the unit for replacement or refund is the correct thing to do since it was probably DOA. From what you describe, it seems your connection would have been to use the splitter/combiner in the kit to "splice"/combine the UHF remote antenna input of the 322 into the RF signal output of tv2 from the 322. Then put the other black box from the kit in the other room in line with the tv input and plug in the power supply in. If that setup doesn't work with the remote from tv1, something in the kit must be faulty.

It's called greed, why offer a firmware upgrade when you can sell more accessories? I was thinking the same thing, I should have been able to take an IR TV1 remote and point it at the IR receptor but no go. I won a set of 311 receivers on ebay so i'm dumping the 322, it's always been a pain, and it looks like I will be able to recoup some cost by throwing it on ebay. I'd say the kit is faulty as well and I'm returning it. Hope you have better luck!