NextPVR Forums

Full Version: IR USB Sensor to Boot PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey All,

I have my new HTPC together with Win 7 pro x64 with an i3 540 running nice and quiet and smooth.

The issue is I have a harmony one remote and my old sensor for the keyboard/remote which had mouse and keyboard ps2 connectors doesn't work on this new machine.

I bought an hauppauge 2250 with the remote thinking I could use the sensor, but now I am wondering, how do you boot the machine with the remote?

Does anyone know of a fairly simple way to do this? I am willing to buy a new sensor or keyboard or remote to get this to work. I read most of the remote guide, but did not find anything too current. I know my last system came together 5 or 6 years ago.

Thanks all!
kirschey Wrote:Hey All,

I have my new HTPC together with Win 7 pro x64 with an i3 540 running nice and quiet and smooth.

The issue is I have a harmony one remote and my old sensor for the keyboard/remote which had mouse and keyboard ps2 connectors doesn't work on this new machine.

I bought an hauppauge 2250 with the remote thinking I could use the sensor, but now I am wondering, how do you boot the machine with the remote?

Does anyone know of a fairly simple way to do this? I am willing to buy a new sensor or keyboard or remote to get this to work. I read most of the remote guide, but did not find anything too current. I know my last system came together 5 or 6 years ago.

Thanks all!
I don't have a very new machine or Win7, but I was tinkering around with trying to get mine to come out of hibernation with the remote. For USB recievers, it turns out that it is motherboard specific. The BIOS has to allow a way to keep voltage to the USB subsystem even when it is sleeping or hibernating. And it has to be able to perform some magic when it gets something on the USB port. Kind of like the magic for Wake On LAN stuff I guess. My motherboard had a setting to keep power to the USB subsystem, but still wouldn't wake from hibernation with the remote. The receiver has an led that flashes when it gets something from the remote. When hibernating, it doesn't flash when I press any buttons on the remote, so even though supposedly I am getting power to the receiver, it doesn't do anything unless it is interacting with a fully awake system. I hope others can be more helpful.
hmmm, what other settings for wake up do you have in bios? set to wake on PME and USB stuff...
the 2250 remote won't wake pc if it's not usb connected....

as far as i know, the only remote capable of waking most pc's is mce remote/dongle...
[there are a couple other devices that can too]

even tho i use a mvp remote with that dongle, i have to use mce remote's power button to wake it from sleep..
it's a special hardware signal sent from usb dongle, that is hard coded to mce remotes power button only..

some bioses have ability to turn on from ps2 keyboard,mouse...which is nice...Smile

you could try getting a cheap ps2->usb convertor and try the old keyboard setup..
but unless your new bios has setting to power on pc from usb, it won't work..
[if you like old keyboard better Smile]

but definitely turn on usb wake and power while suspended..sometimes they only work on certain ports, so check the manual, mine has 3 jumpers to enable each set of usb port power individually..so i only turn on power of ports it's plugged into..
Thanks, I bought this today and hope it will work with my Harmony One Remote. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880121001 I will need to use some software to connect in windows, to remap, but there are options.

I bought a pricey Mother Board, with USB 3.0 etc. It was really an overclocker's board but it had everything I needed. I will have to check the BIOS about the wake on USB features. It does have a keyboard PS2 port on the back, so I may be able to use that with the old sensor, although my old sensor has a ps2 keyboard and mouse connectors, because it was from an old wireless keyboard/mouse, which still works. I also kind of wanted to use it with the old box as a GBPVR receiver.
you might wanna check out this one if you'd like a better remote or blasters..Smile
[i don't think that one you posted has blasters] about same price..[24$]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880121002

but if you don't need blasters or the remote, i have the remote you posted tho a different dongle..it works fine...much better on batts than original one..

note, to wake machine up from sleep, you'll need to learn the mce remote's power button as that's the only signal it'll wake to..[learn it on your harmony remote]

oh and the old keyboard reciever won't work with remotes, different signal..
unless it's a MCE keyboard...Smile