NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New EVR "Remove LetterBox" Zooming feature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally got around to trying it out and it works great for zooming 4:3 content, but it kind of zooms to far on the super wide screen content.

Is there any way to mix the "Fill" setting with the new "Remove LetterBox" zoom setting in that it Zooms just enough to fill the screen(no more no less)?

Media Player Classic calls this "Touch Window From Outside".

Thanks for your time!
You can adjust the aspect ratio settings and/or define your own in config.xml. Here is the relevant section:
Code:
<AspectRatio>
    <TVShape>16:9</TVShape>
    <AspectRatioModes shape="4:3">
      <AspectRatioMode name="Fill">0,0,1,1</AspectRatioMode>
      <AspectRatioMode name="LetterBox">0,0.125,1,0.875</AspectRatioMode>
      <AspectRatioMode name="Remove LetterBox">0,-0.125,1,1.125</AspectRatioMode>
      <AspectRatioMode name="Center Cut">-0.05,-0.17,1.04,1.17</AspectRatioMode>
      <AspectRatioMode name="PillarBox">0.08,0,0.92,1</AspectRatioMode>
    </AspectRatioModes>
    <AspectRatioModes shape="16:9">
    </AspectRatioModes>
    <AspectRatioModes shape="16:10">
      <AspectRatioMode name="Fill">0,0.05,1,0.95</AspectRatioMode>
    </AspectRatioModes>
  </AspectRatio>

First, the TV Shape setting corresponds to what you have set on the Settings screen, and determines which set of AspectRatioModes will be used. The numbers in each mode define the X & Y coordinate of the upper left corner of the video relative to the screen (which is 0,0), followed by the X & Y coordinate of the lower right corner of the video relative to the screen (which is 1,1). So the Fill aspect ratio is usually 0,0,1,1 which means "put the upper left corner of the video at the upper left corner of the screen, and put the lower right corner of the video at the lower right corner of the screen". In all cases you are defining the position of the corners of the video relative to the visible area of the screen. Negative numbers for the upper left corner push the upper left corner of the the video off the upper left edge of the screen, while numbers greater than 1 for the lower right corner push that corner off the lower right edge of the screen, thus accomplishing a zoom effect.

For me, the NPVR's (and GB-PVR's) default aspect ratio modes have always been incorrect. These are the settings for 4:3 that I use with NPVR and EVR (EVR renders a little differently than VMR):
Code:
<AspectRatioModes shape="4:3">
      <AspectRatioMode name="LetterBox">-0.17,0,1.17,1</AspectRatioMode>
      <AspectRatioMode name="WideScreen">0,0.125,1,0.875</AspectRatioMode>
      <AspectRatioMode name="Zoom">-0.15,-0.15,1.15,1.15</AspectRatioMode>
    </AspectRatioModes>
In my settings "Letterbox" actually means "Un-Letterbox", but that's just how I named it a long time ago and haven't seen fit to change it. It zooms and crops a 16:9 video to fill the 4:3 screen. "Widescreen" is for cases where I actually do want to see the full widescreen 16:9 video, and "Zoom" accomplishes the "Un-Letterbox" effect when 16:9 shows are letterboxed on 4:3 channels.
Thanks for your reply.

So I would have to add a setting for super wide screen? There's no way to have a setting that adapts to the video?

Thanks.
ForestKlown
In GB-PVR, Auto mode would automatically select a good aspect ratio; for me it would choose "Fill" for 4:3 content, and "Letterbox" for 16:9 content (thus always filling the screen). NPVR also has an Auto setting, but doesn't seem to work the same way; I asked sub once to explain what NPVR's Auto does & how, but he either missed the question or wasn't in the 'splainin mood.