NextPVR Forums

Full Version: HDTV consideration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I will be building a HTPC in the near future for my Hitachi  rear projector HDTV. It has DVI-D, and Hitachi tells me it really is not meant for PC in. I know most of the better cards that have DVI are DVI-I, and I think I can convert from one to the other? My questions are:

1. Is DVI the best way to go if an option?
2. I hear pattern burn is a problem with these tvs, anyone know of this?
3. Can I damage the tv by sending it a wrong signal, as in refresh rate?

Also, as I am new to this whole idea of HTPC and PVR, any input on building my system is very welcome. I know I can buy a $800 video card, but is there any reason to do so?
This system is just for internet and tv-recording/dvd, no gaming. All using the tv as monitor, no monitor on pc.
I know, how much ya wanna spend? What ever it takes to get the ideal system that isn't overkill for stated uses.

And lastly, I know there are a dozen programs like GB, most you pay for. What don't I get with GB that the others have? I downloaded it, and it looks good to me. Am I missing something?
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] ]And lastly, I know there are a dozen programs like GB, most you pay for. What don't I get with GB that the others have? I downloaded it, and it looks good to me. Am I missing something?
a bill, thats about it.

if the hdtv you are looking at has RGB component input you can get a new geforce card which outputs an hdtv signal via the hdtv adapter that comes with most of them, the quality is really good, and the geforce cards arent very expensive, plus if you decide to play games on it, you can. i got a geforce 6600 and now the output to my tv is better than the output i get on my dvd player, so started using my pvr to play dvds aswell. its really really really good.