NextPVR Forums

Full Version: ATI 650 will only show Digital Tuner in NPVR - GBVR works fine - I'm stumped..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just replaced the ATI 550 Pro with this Diamond 650 Pro with digital/Analog tuner. I don't use the digital side here in Canada (no over the HD air channels). I was trying to step up to NPVR which I would like to use but it refuses to recognize the analog tuner. It showed nothing for the 550 which did not have a digital tuner and with the 650 now shows listings for two elements of the digital tuner (ATSC & QAM)

I have read as many posts as possible but there isn't much on the subject. A recommendation about installing the Haupaugge Win7 app, but that doesn't work. The installer gets to the point where it can't find the right hardware then exits.

I have tried extracting the files but have been unable to execute the regsvr32 command either from the run command or the command prompt.

Anybody have any suggestions?
All Steamed Out Wrote:I have read as many posts as possible but there isn't much on the subject. A recommendation about installing the Haupaugge Win7 app, but that doesn't work. The installer gets to the point where it can't find the right hardware then exits.
Thats to be expected. You dont have a Hauppauge device.

Quote:I have tried extracting the files but have been unable to execute the regsvr32 command either from the run command or the command prompt.
If you're running Vista or Win7, you would have needed to start that command prompt with 'run as administrator'
sub knows that's what he's talking about. presumably ASO has followed the quick instructions here: http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?...post385333, or figured out that much from other sources, and is unclear about how to register the .ax files.

he needs to open a command prompt (and as sub says, run it as administrator if in vista or win7 and UAC is on), cd to the directory containing the hcw_*.* files from the extract, and then type "regsvr32 hcw_mcmpeg2mux.ax". the other two .ax files are only needed for soft-encoding devices.

it seems to me that creating a SoftPVR directory under the NPVR data directory is a perfectly nice place to put the HCW_MC filters. [edit: per sub's comment below, this is not actually a good place for these files]

edit: this post was written partly in response to another post that has now been deleted. now my message looks a little odd (who am I talking to?), but rather than try to re-write history I'll just let it stand....
johnsonx42 Wrote:it seems to me that creating a SoftPVR directory under the NPVR data directory is a perfectly nice place to put the HCW_MC filters.
Its probably best to keep those outside of the NPVR directory. I'm likely to give some people advice to deleting the npvr directory, and it'd be a pity to disturb the SoftPVR components when this happens. Probably best to put them Hauppauge puts them, or some other directory outside the NPVR directory.
Thanks for your assistance, but there is obviously something that has been skipped over in terms of how to execute the command prompt. I am using XP 32bit, SP3. I am following the advice above but Windows is unable to locate the file location. It remains in the directory it was extracted to after using 7zip on file WINTV7SETUP file. Should these files be copied to the NPVR directory, or conversely how is the command directed to the correct location of the file to be registered?

Incidentally, I also found it strange that I would be required to attempt an install of Haupaugge drivers when I have no such device but those were the instructions in an earlier post. So I wasn't at all surprised to find it fail.

Thanks in advance for the help

I have attached a screenshot of my command prompt faiure
sub Wrote:Its probably best to keep those outside of the NPVR directory. I'm likely to give some people advice to deleting the npvr directory, and it'd be a pity to disturb the SoftPVR components when this happens. Probably best to put them Hauppauge puts them, or some other directory outside the NPVR directory.
Understood. I can certainly see where there might be times where it's simplest for you to just have a user hose the NPVR directories and start again. I have my EPG grabber and Comskip stuff all under the NPVR data directory, but of course I'm also well aware of that and the consequences thereof.
I suppose one could re-create the c:\program files\WinTV structure, but manually sticking stuff under Program Files isn't really a good practice. C:\SoftPVR is probably a reasonable alternative.
All Steamed Out Wrote:Thanks for your assistance, but there is obviously something that has been skipped over in terms of how to execute the command prompt. I am using XP 32bit, SP3. I am following the advice above but Windows is unable to locate the file location. It remains in the directory it was extracted to after using 7zip on file WINTV7SETUP file. Should these files be copied to the NPVR directory, or conversely how is the command directed to the correct location of the file to be registered?

Incidentally, I also found it strange that I would be required to attempt an install of Haupaugge drivers when I have no such device but those were the instructions in an earlier post. So I wasn't at all surprised to find it fail.

Thanks in advance for the help

I have attached a screenshot of my command prompt faiure

You neglected to cd to the directory containing your extracted hauppauge files. That is, after you open the command prompt you would first type 'cd \path\to\wintv7files', then run the regsvr32 command. alternately you could put the full path in the regsvr32 command, as in 'regsvr32 c:\path\to\wintv7files\hcw_mcmpeg2mux.ax'. I prefer to just cd first, as it ensures we really are in the right place.

As to why you need the hauppauge/MainConcept mpeg-2 mux, it is because NPVR works ONLY with mpeg-2 TRANSPORT STREAMS; digital tuners produce transport streams already, but analog tuners produce mpeg-2 PROGRAM STREAMS. The mux is required to change the program stream to a transport stream - ultimately a .ts file instead of an .mpg file.

Perhaps I will add that explanation to the NPVR Getting Started, etc. sticky thread: http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?...READ!!!!** which you have of course read, yes?
also, once you get the mux registered, I suspect it still won't show up in NPVR; we're troubleshooting that problem in another thread: http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?...post386360. Head over there and run the filtercheck posted there, and post your resulting filtercheck.log file. You will probably need to add an entry to your AnalogDevices.xml, and we can figure out what to add once we get a new filtercheck from a 650 user.
johnsonx42 Wrote:You neglected to cd to the directory containing your extracted hauppauge files. That is, after you open the command prompt you would first type 'cd \path\to\wintv7files', then run the regsvr32 command. alternately you could put the full path in the regsvr32 command, as in 'regsvr32 c:\path\to\wintv7files\hcw_mcmpeg2mux.ax'. I prefer to just cd first, as it ensures we really are in the right place.

Perhaps I will add that explanation to the NPVR Getting Started, etc. sticky thread: http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?...READ!!!!** which you have of course read, yes?

Perhaps this question will illustrate my problem from the outset. Please define the context of the statement "You neglected to cd to the directory containing your extracted hauppauge files". In the context of that sentence what does the phrase "cd to" mean? Is this a acronym well known in the programming community for a basic command action? My only understanding is that the acronym "cd" represents "Compact Disc" and if I'm not mistaken that is not the context you intend here. Is that correct?

Yes I did read the Getting Started post, but did not find anything in it that specifically speaks to this issue. I have followed the approach you state above taking the longer approach (since I didn't know what you meant by "cd"). In this case I fully described the path to the 'hcw_mcmpeg2mux.ax' file. My system drive is lettered "E", I created a new folder in Program Files which it titled: NPVR-WINTV7_FILES. I copied the three files to that directory from the extracted directory.

I typed in the cmd prompt: regsvr32 e:\Program Files\NPVR-WINTV7_FILES\HCW_MCMPEG2MUX.AX

After pressing enter, command prompt replied with the error shown in the image below
Put quotes around the path:

regsvr32 "e:\Program Files\NPVR-WINTV7_FILES\HCW_MCMPEG2MUX.AX"
Pages: 1 2 3