NextPVR Forums

Full Version: PVR-500 Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently using a PVR-350 with good results, but as with any project I'm ready for more (as in tuners). I am considering adding a PVR-500, but read in the documentation that it is not fully supported yet. At the same time I've seen a number of posts from people using them successfully. So what are the limitations? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Its fully supported. It's effectively two PVR150s.

[b Wrote:Quote[/b] ]So what are the limitations?
None? It doesnt come with remote.

BTW, your PVR350 remote will probably stop functioning when you install the PVR500, which is what most people find, but hopefully Hauppauge are on to this problem...
Thanks for the reply. PVR-500 getting ordered today then! [Image: smile.gif]
I'm not concerned about the possible remote problems because I have a couple of MVPs on the way & will be moving the PVR box to the basement anyway.
I´m highly pleased, GB-PVR works very good with the PVR-500.
The only thing i cannot bring to work is the FM Radio Modul, don´t know why (the gbnetradio-*-0.mp3 files are empty). Sub, is there any speciality i should note?

rgds
/henrik
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] ]The only thing i cannot bring to work is the FM Radio Modul, don´t know why (the gbnetradio-*-0.mp3 files are empty). Sub, is there any speciality i should note?
I think only the first of the two tuners is able to do FM radio (it might just be a driver thing).

You can probably force it to behave correctly by editing the direct.ini file, and copying the [Hauppauge PVR500] section to a new [Hauppauge PVR500 (with FM)]. Set the [Hauppauge PVR500] section to not support FM using SUPPORTS_FM_RADIO=0. Set the [Hauppauge PVR500 (with FM)] to support FM radio using SUPPORTS_FM_RADIO=1. Then set the tuners to appropriate type of card.
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] (AOSandman @ Feb. 19 2005,10:38)]Thanks for the reply.  PVR-500 getting ordered today then!  [Image: smile.gif]
WAIT!!!!!

What sort of motherboard do you have? If it has a VIA chipset (in particular if it is made by ASUS) - do some more research first.

Read this thread - http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=2212

Sufficeit to say I just replaced my Asus mobo a couple of days ago with an Intel one and the 500 is now working properly (at least early tests seem to show that it is).

Cheers,
Brian
Ugh! Thanks for the heads-up. It's a cheapo ASRock mobo with a VIA chipset. Thankfully I'm a world-class procrastinator and haven't ordered the 500 yet. [Image: smile.gif]

So now my dilemma is as follows:
1. Wanted the 500 because I have only 1 available PCI slot.
2. I'd likely need a new mobo to support the 500.
3. Said new mobo would have more PCI slots than current.
4. Thanks to additional slots, I could use a pair of 150MCEs instead of a 500.

Let's just say the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is shrinking. Maybe a single 150MCE is my best bet for now.
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] (sub @ Feb. 19 2005,11:24)]
[b Wrote:Quote[/b] ]The only thing i cannot bring to work is the FM Radio Modul, don´t know why (the gbnetradio-*-0.mp3 files are empty). Sub, is there any speciality i should note?
I think only the first of the two tuners is able to do FM radio (it might just be a driver thing).

You can probably force it to behave correctly by editing the direct.ini file, and copying the [Hauppauge PVR500] section to a new [Hauppauge PVR500 (with FM)]. Set the [Hauppauge PVR500] section to not support FM using SUPPORTS_FM_RADIO=0. Set the [Hauppauge PVR500 (with FM)] to support FM radio using SUPPORTS_FM_RADIO=1. Then set the tuners to appropriate type of card.
I did like you said, it works, thanks very!! /henrik