NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Thumbs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear all,

apologies if I missed this somewhere. I did try searching forums Smile

How does NPVR work with thumb images for Recordings/Music Library/Video Library?

I'm on XP currently, I have 'found' a thumbs folder in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NPVR\Thumbs

that seems to have amazingly poulated itself with Music artwork from Windows Media Player Library

I also have:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NPVR\Media\Shows

Which appears to hold images for my recordings

Where are images for Video Library held?

And does my artwork for albums have to keep the generic Windows Media Player Names like:

0A5CA4F78E07394B0987E4282F25C0.jpg

I bet as usual I missed something Big Grin

Cheers

Steeb
Whenever NPVR has to load an image file from media directories to resize it and display in the skin, it stores a copy of the resized image in thumbs folder, so that it has quicker access to the resized image next time it needs it. This makes for a significant time saving for future viewing of the same images.

The big random looking name is and MD5 hash of the file path and name, so that the application can find it without having to have a database relating the original image to the thumbnail version.
sub Wrote:Whenever NPVR has to load an image file from media directories to resize it and display in the skin, it stores a copy of the resized image in thumbs folder, so that it has quicker access to the resized image next time it needs it. This makes for a significant time saving for future viewing of the same images.

Ah ha, superb, didn't realise that was what was going on, brilliant!

Quote:The big random looking name is and MD5 hash of the file path and name, so that the application can find it without having to have a database relating the original image to the thumbnail version

Yup got that now, like, alot.

So where is NPVR finding these images?

recordings:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NPVR\Media\Shows

Here any image will show in my recordings view

But I cannot seem to get an image to show in my Video Library? Image is there alongside video in folder?

cheers

Steeb
Quote:So where is NPVR finding these images?
Its not getting the images from anywhere magical. These are just resized versions of files like folder.jpg etc that you've already got in your directories.

Quote:But I cannot seem to get an image to show in my Video Library? Image is there alongside video in folder?
Any files in the thumbs directory are images you've already seen on the screen somewhere in the app (ie, it only creates these images when its showing the image). Where you see the image depends on the view. If you're in Icon or Cover view mode you'll usually see them as the list items. In List view mode you'll often the selected item them next to the list.
sub Wrote:Its not getting the images from anywhere magical. These are just resized versions of files like folder.jpg etc that you've already got in your directories.

Yup got that bit, but it was quite magical Smile

Seems folder.jpg was the key. If I had a Video file named Braindead.mpg and the jpeg was named Braindead.jpg, it didn't work? Renamed Braindead.jpg to folder.jpg and now it is there.

Quote:Any files in the thumbs directory are images you've already seen on the screen somewhere in the app (ie, it only creates these images when its showing the image). Where you see the image depends on the view. If you're in Icon or Cover view mode you'll usually see them as the list items. In List view mode you'll often the selected item them next to the list.

I'm getting there, so why does recording of a show have to be named after the show and not folder.jpg?

Steeb
Whenever it looks for image it looks in a few places for an image. If you file is c:\somedirectory\recording.ts, then it'll look for c:\somedirectory\recording.jpg, then c:\somedirectory\folder.jpg then c:\users\public\npvr\media\shows\recording.jpg (or something like that).
Big Grin
sub Wrote:Whenever it looks for image it looks in a few places for an image. If you file is c:\somedirectory\recording.ts, then it'll look for c:\somedirectory\recording.jpg, then c:\somedirectory\folder.jpg then c:\users\public\npvr\media\shows\recording.jpg (or something like that).

You're far too quick for me Smile

I just tried renaming a jpg from a recorded show to default 'folder.jpg'

of course there. Brilliant logic built in to NPVR, I'll be quiet and do some wiki stuff now that I understand Big Grin

thanks

Steeb
The only downside I've run accross with the thumbnail cache is if you change views from say list view to icon view, sometimes the thumbnail is sized incorrectly. Samething sometimes happens when you display the thumbnail onscreen during video playback mode. Otherwise it's pretty slick.
It should create new thumbs for the same image if you change views and it needs a different sized image.
I have found it will only display the proper sized thumbs after changing views if you then exit NPVR & then start it again.
Pages: 1 2