NextPVR Forums

Full Version: HD recordings (ts files) not playing smoothly on NMT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I guess this is not a mvpmcX2 problem but my HD recordings from my Hauppauge HVR-4400 does not play smoothly on the Popcorn. The sound is perfect but the picture is choppy every second or so. Playing the file with Popcorns native player produces the same result but playing the file on the computer is perfect.

Anyone seeing this problem and knows if there is any solution to it?

\\Agerdin
I have never found a broadcast TS file that won't play with a native player so I would suspect bandwidth first and poor quality recordings second. Other possibilities are

- in GBPVR you are using Full TS as the mux
- the files are stored on a share
- some process like comskip is using a lot of resources,
- you are using a wireless bridge.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:I have never found a broadcast TS file that won't play with a native player so I would suspect bandwidth first and poor quality recordings second.

Could be but I do not think so, other HD material plays well over the same network....as far as bad recordings, how do I check that???

mvallevand Wrote:- in GBPVR you are using Full TS as the mux
Need to check when I get home. What mux is to recommend?

mvallevand Wrote:- the files are stored on a share
Files are stored on computer HD dedicated to recordings so it is a share from a NMT perspective. Do I need to mount the drive as you do for DVDs/ISOs?

mvallevand Wrote:- some process like comskip is using a lot of resources,
Comskip is turned on, which could explain Live TV problems but the same problem occurs when trying to play the same file outside GBPVR after recording is completed.

mvallevand Wrote:- you are using a wireless bridge.

Nope, all is wired and the exact same result is on both my NMTs. One i wired directly to my broadband router and the other one through an old switch. Is gigabit network required???

Ill do some testing when I get home.

Thanks martin,

\\Agerdin
martin,

I have now done some more testing and it turns out that its only one channel where I have the problem. Hence I stopped the investigation of bandwith problems. I have below posted three screen shots of the media information and the first one is where the problem appears. The channel with the problem is "only" 1280x720 but with a frequency of 100. I do not know if that can be the problem.

As this has nothing to do with either GBPVR or mvpmcx2 i guess it should have been posted in the general section but if you are able to give me any hints it will be appreciated.

Also, I get the exact same problem using NPVR.

\\Agerdin
agerdin Wrote:I have now done some more testing and it turns out that its only one channel where I have the problem. Hence I stopped the investigation of bandwith problems. I have below posted three screen shots of the media information and the first one is where the problem appears. The channel with the problem is "only" 1280x720 but with a frequency of 100. I do not know if that can be the problem.

I think that is just how vlc reports the frame rate, I have noticed it doubles fps. Maybe you are seeing judder? Is your monitor set up for 60 Mhz instead of 50?

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:I think that is just how vlc reports the frame rate, I have noticed it doubles fps. Maybe you are seeing judder? Is your monitor set up for 60 Mhz instead of 50?

Martin

If you mean how my NMT is setup I did try 720p 50hz, 720p 60hz, 1080p, 50 hz and 1080p 60 hz all with the same result.

Not sure what you mean by judder, the picture is crystal clear but every 1/10 sec it jerks a little making everyone looks like they were krumping Smile

\\Agerdin
If you place a 10MB sample on megaupload or mediafire I can look. I would have my monitor set as 1080p 50, or set the PCH up for auto 24/50 if you play BluRay content. I can't remember if the modes that change the framerate are supported you might need -frequency 50 on the command line.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:If you place a 10MB sample on megaupload or mediafire I can look. I would have my monitor set as 1080p 50, or set the PCH up for auto 24/50 if you play BluRay content. I can't remember if the modes that change the framerate are supported you might need -frequency 50 on the command line.

Martin

Martin, I uploaded a sample file that is playing well on my computer but stutters on my PCH also when playing it outside of mvpmcx2. Hence I am not sure that the -frequency 50 will help.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0W6PG5LD

\\Agerdin
Thanks, I do see the "krumping" on both the PCH and PC from NPVR. vlc is showing about 9% lost frames too.

Martin
I played around with your sample and after passing it through TsMuxeR it plays fine on my PC and the PCH.

Martin
Pages: 1 2