NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Video card recommendation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Did some searching through back threads but didn't find an answer I was satisifed with.

I recently upgraded my system to an AthlonX4, 4 GB DDR3, on an Asus M4A785TD-M board with onboard Radeon 4200 video in a hope of making my system HD-capable but I still seem to have picture stutter issues with Live HD channels from my HDHomeRun. Recorded programs from the HDHR also have stutter with any renderer other than Overlay Manager.

Any recommendations for a good add-in video card to throw in there? PCI-Express 2.0 x16 is the available slot. I also have another limitation - I have everything in a small-ish MicroATX case that has a 300W power supply - which seems to be a bit of an issue as a lot of cards seem to be requiring more robust PSU's than that.

I don't necessarily need a low profile card - I can use one with a standard bracket - but the smaller physical size of the card, the better. Passive cooling would also be a plus.

I've always been an nVidia devotee - would a 9400 card be sufficient?
I don't know if a 9400 would be OK, I have a 9500GT and it works fine, especially in Win 7 with EVR. I'm thinking that Win 7 is significantly better for video than XP, especially with the EVR renderer. If you get an Nvidia card, and are connected to a TV via DVI to HDMI, be prepared for the EDID override issue. Google on that to find the registry hack you have to make, at least I had to. My Sony TV had no sound until I did the hack.
That card looks OK; doesn't have an HDMI connector if that makes a difference. I have a Gigabyte, with a fan. Seems pretty quiet though. You might wait for others to chime in on the ATI 5xxx series, folks seem to like them. No experience, myself.
If you will be using the card for watching HD an ASUS/ATI 3450 is good for the go. It is relativly cheap, has no noisy fan and gives a very good looking picture.
Maybe my head is in the sand but is a Radeon HD3450 going to have better performance than the onboard Radeon 4200 graphics card I already have? Looks like I could easily score a Powercolor 3450HD for about $45 from a local vendor.

If I knew for certain it was going to solve my clear QAM playback issues I would stop by on my way home from work today.

**Edit** For only $5 more I can get a Radeon HD 4350 card. Same question remains, though - will either of these be any better than the onboard video?
I use a fanless ASUS 9400GT.
Works really well, and doesn't get too hot (50 deg Celcius) when under 1080i load. (and 1080p for that matter, but I think 1080i takes more power)
1 x VGA, 1 x DVI, 1 x HDMI.

Doesn't seem to be too power hungry
Definitely do not get a 3xxx or 4xxx right now. You can get a 5450 for less than $50: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...n=ati+5450
It's plenty sufficient for HTPC and available in fanless models.

As for the EDID overrides that mikeh49 mentioned, don't let them scare you. I currently know more about them than I ever cared to know and can help you if you need it. (I'm "vladd" on AVSForum)
I agree with Whurlston...the 5450 will do what you want with no trouble. I have 2 overkill units. 1-4870 and 1 4890 but I do lots of video editing so I went with the extra bang. I have a friend who recently got a 5450 and he debated back and forth and is not sorry he got it. Worse case is if you need to upgrade later, you're not out big bucks.
Quote: As for the EDID overrides that mikeh49 mentioned, don't let them scare you. I currently know more about them than I ever cared to know and can help you if you need it.
Is this still needed?
I always wondered why I got no audio when using analogue w/ HDMI (I usually have my SPDIF hooked up to my amp anyway)
Pages: 1 2 3