NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Do Blackgold cards work as well as Hauppauge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've seen a couple of posts about Blackgold cards recently, and I am impressed with their new offerings; the BGT3620 dual DVBT/T2 and BGT3595 dual DVB S/S2 and dual DVB-T.
The current Hauppauge range looks a bit dated in comparison - the Nova HDS2 seems to be the only DVBS2 card and is only single tuner, their quad tuner card supports neither DVBS2 nor DVBT2.
Sure the BG cards are more expensive, but still cheaper than 2x Nova HDS2 or 2x DVBT2 sticks (which are not branded Hauppauge anyway).
However my only experience of a non-Hauppauge card is the Compro S350, which is less than impressive. Highest priority is robust support in GBPVR / NPVR, which is where the Compro lets me down and the Hauppauge have always been excellent. So I wondered if any owners of BG cards can report on their use in GBPVR - do they scan OK for example?
Keep in mind DVB-S2 is only supported on Hauppauge S2 cards (Nova-S2, HVR-4000, HVR-4400, HVR-5500). There is no S2 support on other manufacturers S2 cards. ...that said, other S2 cards can work if they have drivers which automatically handle the pilot/rolloff behind the scenes in the drivers.
Thanks Sub. I would definately prefer to stick with Hauppauge, but would like one card with dual DVB-S2 or dual DVB-T2 tuners. At present I cannot record 2 HD progs at the same time (or watch one and record another). A card with dual tuners seems a neater solution than adding more cards! On the UK Hauupage site there is no mention of the HVR-5500 - is it a new one?
At present all the UK HD sat channels are DVB-S anyway, but DVB-S2 seems sensible for future-proofing. As far as I can tell, the HVR-4400 is a dual tuner card, one sat and one terrestial tuner...
Quote:On the UK Hauupage site there is no mention of the HVR-5500 - is it a new one?
Yes, its pretty much an HVR-4400 that also does DVB-C.
As Pob said, we don't need DVB-S2 here yet, but if we did, what would it take to get it working on one of these cards (assuming it currently doesn't)? Would sending you an actual card help?

Iain
It would take a sample card, and some development information from Blackgold.